Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tandy 1000 intro + source code + more

Quote Originally Posted by acadiel View Post
    Hah, I wonder why it didn't like my original Tandy 1000. Can anyone else try on a 1000, 1000 SX, etc?
    Here is a new binary. If you can try it on your Tandy 1000 original, I would appreciate it.
    You might see some small lines at the bottom-left... but the noisy-red lines should be fixed.

tandy64.exe patched:
    https://github.com/c64scene-ar/tandy...in/tandy64.exe

and I would appreciate if you can run this binary (dumpbios.exe):
    https://github.com/ricardoquesada/ta...n/dumpbios.exe

it will generate two files:
    - ZEROPAGE.BIN (dumps memory 0x0000 to 0x400)
    - BIOSF800.BIN (dumps memory 0xf8000 to 0xfffff)

...and if you can send them to me. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I'm not sure about the Tandy 1000, but on the PCjr, it is very slow to change even a single palette entry, which is one reason why the raster bars in introJR are jittery. (It's possible one reason IBM provided the vertical retrace interrupt as a way to perfectly change the palette without any visible artifacts onscreen.)
    Similar on Tandy. I was able to only change one palette color per Horizontal retrace clocked at 7.16Mhz. With the Tandy clocked at 4.77Mhz I saw some snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I'm guessing the Tandy 1000 does exactly the same thing.
    You are right, probably I will only find an 'iret' on that int handler. But I would also like to know what's in rest of that BIOS. I'd like to compare it with the 1000 HX to see if there is any difference, what has been fixed in the HX, etc. I started to document the 1000 HX BIOS here: https://github.com/ricardoquesada/tandy1000hx-bios . Far from being complete, but the graphics code is more-or-less well documented.

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Cool intro! Always nice to see some new 8088 stuff.
    I hope you can also get it running on the original Tandy 1000, and if possible, even the PCjr.
    thanks! I'll try to make run on the original Tandy 1000. Hopefully on the PCJr as well (I've just purchased one, haven't arrived yet... let's hope it is in working conditions).

Quote Originally Posted by Scali View Post
    Perhaps it is possible to make it run on a 128k machine? I see you currently incbin all data... But the C64 font is only required for the first part, right? So you could put it in a dynamically allocated buffer, and free it before starting the second part.
    actually the c64 font is being used in the intro (the text-writer routine uses it), but I think I might be able to reduce the size by not `incbin`-ing the entire 32k gfx, but only the visible parts.
    How much free-ram do I have in a 128K IBM PC Jr.?
    The binary takes 102k (105125 bytes) and uses 32k of video RAM (not sure whether the video RAM is shared with the CPU RAM).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by riq View Post
    actually the c64 font is being used in the intro (the text-writer routine uses it)
    Ah right, I thought that was the regular BIOS font. All those 8x8 fonts look alike... and I'm not used to seeing the lowercase C64 stuff

The binary takes 102k (105125 bytes) and uses 32k of video RAM (not sure whether the video RAM is shared with the CPU RAM).
    A PCjr has shared video/system RAM. So the 128k is the total.
    You'd have 128-32 = 96k left for DOS + your program.
    I don't know how much DOS takes on a PCjr... Probably not a whole lot, since it can even run with 64k (but only with 16k video modes, so 48k left for DOS + software).
    Alternatively you could turn the intro into a booter, so you don't have DOS at all (I don't think you need it?).

Edit, according to this: http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/Sho...uest_locale=en
    DOS 2.1 uses 24kb, and DOS 3.0 uses 36kb.
    Last edited by Scali; November 26th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

Blog Entries

thanks! I'll try to make run on the original Tandy 1000. Hopefully on the PCJr as well (I've just purchased one, haven't arrived yet... let's hope it is in working conditions).
    If you have trouble with your PCjr, feel free to PM me, or ask over on the PCjr forums.

How much free-ram do I have in a 128K IBM PC Jr.?
    As Scali replied, not much. You'll have to get your binary below 64K, which is why he suggested putting the 32K graphics screen as a file on disk. You can make it look like it's part of the binary by attaching the graphics data to the main executable like this:

Code:
    copy /b prog.exe + data.bin final.exe
    ...and then you can read the EXE header to see where the executable stops and the binary data starts, and can just open "yourself" and seek to where the binary data is and read it. So it's still a "single-file executable", but not all of it will be in the resident portion. Hope that makes sense.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

By the way, an alternative way to reduce the memory footprint is to perform simple RLE-encoding of the graphics. I think both the cartoon characters and especially the PVM logo will compress very well.
    You can decompress them directly to video memory.

Thanks @scali and @trixter for the suggestions/ideas/help! I'll see what I can do once the machine arrives.

@all:
    if someone else has an original Tandy 1000 and wants to test it, it would be great. The binary is here:
    https://github.com/c64scene-ar/tandy...in/tandy64.exe

Thanks!