Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 1000 intro + source code + more

Default Tandy 1000 intro + source code + more

Hi,

We have just released an intro for the Tandy 1000 HX.
    It is a small intro that uses BIOS mode al=9 (320 x 200 x 16 colors). It is meant to be used using RBGI output (it doesn't look good in composite mode).
    Might run on other Tandy 1000, but we didn't test it.
    It was tested with 256Kb RAM, but might run on 128Kb RAM with minor changes.

Here is a video captured from the emulator (but please, try not to run in emulators since it doesn't look as good as in real hardware):

Download:
    http://pungas.space/pvm-tandy64.zip

Source code:
    https://github.com/c64scene-ar/tandy64
    It was coded using nasm. The source is commented, but feel free to ask questions (or send bug fixes!

Music player
    We also created a stand-alone music player, which can be found here: https://github.com/ricardoquesada/ta...nd/pvmplay.asm
    It basically plays ".pvm" format songs... which is basically a VGM file format but using RLE encoding.
    The tool to convert from VGM to PVM is here: https://github.com/ricardoquesada/ta..._vgm_to_pvm.py

Tandy 1000 HX BIOS
    We also disassembled the Tandy 1000 HX BIOS. We wanted to know how the Tandy graphics mode were set.
    It is here. At least the graphics part if very well documented: https://github.com/ricardoquesada/tandy1000hx-bios
    (Use Ida Pro to read it)

If you try it on real hardware, we would like to know whether it works or not.
    Af if you have a IBM PC Jr., and you can try it, it would be great. We assume it might not work (since it is too slow), but we would like to know how slow it is.

Thanks!!

Brilliant, I'll try it on my 1000 EX when I get a chance.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    FS: Brand New Tandy 1000 Adapters

Ran it on my original Tandy 1000. Basic T1000 with 640K.

Some graphical glitches compared to the emulator video, but worked ok (didn't lock up, sound worked ok.)

Not sure why I was getting the artifacts and such that were not present in the video up above.
    Last edited by acadiel; November 13th, 2017 at 01:29 PM.

Isn't the HX an 8088-2 and very slightly different video than the original?

I looked at the src and it looks like there is a retrace delay or two that is static, and since you have the original 8088 (I am assuming you dont have the speedup), its off?

Also, the bios video mode section doesnt have the mode for Tandy Video II, would be great to see that used, but I didnt look at it very far.

Just ran it on my Real 1000 EX w/640kb ram, (almost identical to HX but mine also has an NEC V20 CPU in it), and the demo runs perfectly! great job!

This is going to be fun to show off at our next Melbourne C=& Amiga user group meet.

PS, I normally run DOS 5.0 but I ran this in Tandy MS-DOS 3.3 for extra compatibility.
    My Retro Collection:
    CBM: C64, Amiga 500 x2, 600 & 1200
    Mac's: SE, LC630 & Beige G3
    PC's: K6-III+ 500 System + Roland MT-32 & Tandy 1000 EX 640kb, 3.5" FDD, CF-IDE 4GB HDD
    FS: Brand New Tandy 1000 Adapters

It ran great on the EX, TL/3 and RL:

Thanks all!

@acadiel:
    Thanks!
    Interesting. As @Tibd mentioned, the original Tandy 1000 runs at 4.77Mhz.
    But I clocked my Tandy 1000 HX at 4.77 (instead of 7.16Mhz) and it runs almost Ok.

You can see some "snow" at the bottom left. I guess it is because the colors are not being updated fast enough. We are using that portion of the screen to update the palette to do the raster-bar effect.
    But I don't know why you see those red lines in the background. Don't know enough about the original Tandy 1000 to know what's happening.

@dJOS:
    Thanks! It works Ok with DOS v2.11 as well.

@dlightman:
    Thanks! Wow, nice collection!

Quote Originally Posted by dlightman View Post
    It ran great on the EX, TL/3 and RL:

Hah, I wonder why it didn't like my original Tandy 1000. Can anyone else try on a 1000, 1000 SX, etc?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by riq View Post
    Af if you have a IBM PC Jr., and you can try it, it would be great. We assume it might not work (since it is too slow), but we would like to know how slow it is.
    Great to see another Tandy demo! Unfortunately, it's not worth testing on the PCjr because the PCjr requires the video page registers to be used; it doesn't have a 32K video RAM window at B800h like you assume in the code. So in addition to being very slow, it would only display half the lines onscreen (meaning, 0, 1, black, black, 4, 5, black black, etc.)

Also, this:

Code:
            mov     al,1111_1100b                   ;Mask off everything except IRQ 0
            out     0x21,al                         ; and IRQ1 (timer and keyboard)
    ...might lock up a PCjr because they have a hardware vertical retrace interrupt on IRQ5. But I don't know if that's required to refresh the video circuitry, or is just a byproduct of it.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)