Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is oldskool.org safe?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Geekiestt 95 View Post
    If you aren't sure about a site

DO NOT

trust it.
    Trixters pages have been up for years. There's no reason not to trust them.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

This is specifically what's triggering it, NOT the ads: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=oldskool.org

It's Flopper. But this is Norton we are talking about, king of false negatives.
    IBM PS/2 Model 25, NEC V30 8MHz, 640KB RAM, ATI VGA Wonder XL, 2GB SSD, Ethernet, DR DOS 6/GeOS, Xircom PE3 Ethernet

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Trixters pages have been up for years. There's no reason not to trust them.
    I don't trust him. Trixter is a trickster...
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I've never seen that site before, but it sure doesn't look like anything I would avoid. (What little I know of Trixter, I would not worry at all anyway.)

If you don't trust a link, don't follow it. But if you see any of those links that you don't distrust, I assume you're helping the site by following them.

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    This is specifically what's triggering it, NOT the ads: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=oldskool.org

Plus, a fresh scan at VirusTotal (which includes Norton's scan engine) gives it a clean bill of health so that is probably an old scan of the file.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    oldskool.org site admin here. <snip>

Some fun stats: oldskool.org was registered in 1998, and ftp.oldskool.org currently holds 268G of data. In the last YTD, it's served up 14,000 files totally 223MB, and had 28,000 visitors.
    Do you host it yourself? Or is in someone else's cloud (like AWS or Google)?

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eeguru View Post
    I don't trust him. Trixter is a trickster...
    I get that a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Do you host it yourself? Or is in someone else's cloud (like AWS or Google)?
    Self-hosted on co-located hardware at https://www.fdcservers.net/ . While my specific payment/services agreement is not available to others, they are very reasonable and have some great unmetered VPS deals (unmetered meaning you can transfer all you like with no overage charges).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post

ah man, not flopper!!!

As the author of that program, I swear upon my father's grave that it is not a virus. It's a floppy disk emulator, so it does use INT13 which is probably what is causing the scanner to think it's an oldskool (pardon the pun) boot sector virus.

It's a shame that the name Norton is still attached to that software. Peter Norton does not deserve this.

Blog Entries

Don't cry too hard; he was one of the top 200 art collectors in the world by the year 2000, and hasn't been associated with "norton utilities" since 1990. He's doing just fine.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)