Image Map Image Map

Thread: Amiga 1000 boots kickstart but little else

Blog Entries

Default Amiga 1000 boots kickstart but little else

So I've got this cobbled-together A1000 going now for the most part. I thought I'd try a few game disks I know were from around the A1000's timeframe but yeah.. can't get them to load. They do load in my A500, A600HD and A2000.. so I'm confident it's not a disk image problem.. my A1000 has the 256k expansion installed.. could it just be too little RAM? Does anyone recall any games that for sure worked with the earliest A1000s that I could try? System requirements in the game manuals are not always helpful.

Blog Entries

Tried a Workbench 1.3 disk.. nope.. won't load that either. Tried it with and without the RAM cart installed. Going to try changing floppies.

Blog Entries

Borrowed a floppy out of my parts A500.. known to be good.. nope.. doesn't work. Same thing.. boots part way on the WB disk and then comes up with a software error.

I wonder if maybe my Kickstart disk is bad.. it came with the motherboard and I just assumed it was good.. hmm
    Last edited by falter; November 15th, 2017 at 06:33 PM.

That's my first thought. If not Kickstart, RAM or addressing next.

What version do you have?

Blog Entries

I found part of the problem.. it was a Kickstart 1.0 disk. I created a 1.3 disk and was able to get into Workbench 1.3. But game disks still do not work.

Okay. That's what I was thinking; Kickstart 1.0 is going to be very intolerant to newer Workbench versions. I'm not positive but I think most games will give you the same troubles. However, they should all work under 1.3.

How much memory does the system say that you have? Can you get a RAM tester running?

Blog Entries

It says I have 303,000 bytes free roughly with the card in.

Which games are you trying? I would think at least some should work in that configuration.

Blog Entries

I tried Cannon Fodder, Castlevania, and a couple others. So far no takers.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I tried Cannon Fodder, Castlevania, and a couple others. So far no takers.
    I can't look right now so I'm not positive that they're still there, but there should be a boat load of DMS files of early, small game disks. I downloaded and made disks of a bunch of them a long, long time ago. I can recall many that were really tiny but were on custom bootable disks. Unfortunately I have no idea of names of them.