Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tiny, Wireless 8008 Emulator

Blog Entries

I need to dig through my stash of keyboards. A few years ago I bought a couple of unencoded keyboards off ebay. From what I am thinking they are close to what you are using.

Thanks for posting more about your project.

Len
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

The general design of this code is usable for just about any keyboard with a matrix. Here is one of those one-piece plastic block keyboards designed to be soldered into a PCB a la ADM-3, that I built into a terminal using the same chip but slightly different code.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg k.jpg (101.8 KB, 12 views)

Blog Entries

There are still some cheap IBM iPoint NOS keyboards around. All it takes to interface is a 38KHz IR receiver and a UART port capable of doing 1200N81--no wires, no level translation. You get key-up/down codes, so it should be perfect.

I have just purchased an ESP-01S with the intention of getting the ESP8266 Based i8008 Emulator running on it. Better late than never !

I wrote a Javascript emulator of the MIL MOD-8 a while ago and used Dave Dunfield's MONITOR-8 source code. I did notice an error in the transcription from the original. I fixed it in my emulation - but I see it has made it through to the ESP8266 Based i8008 Emulator implementation.

The source line in question is:

Code:
    	DB	'F','P',050
    This should be:

Code:
    	DB	'F','P',030
    There appears to be two (2) entries for the 050 base coding (TZ and FP) and none for the 030 base coding.

When I originally tried to enter assembly code into MON-8 for JFP and CFP it disassembled as JTZ and CTZ respectively. Once I had fixed the table, everything appeared to be correct.

I am looking forward to getting this running! I have wanted to 'play with' an ESP8266 for a while... Now I have an excuse!

Now I wonder if there is a PDP-8 implementation somewhere?

Dave
    Last edited by daver2; April 15th, 2020 at 07:05 AM.

Through amazing coincidence, I've been playing with my toys during this downtime, and was actually thinking about _this very issue_ this week. I knew that somewhere I had seen this bug mentioned. I'll fix it.

I don't know if anyone else has actually made one of these for themselves yet. I put more effort into the later project where the ESP8266 actually puts out direct 80x24 video and reads a PS/2 keyboard (I bummed most of the code it took to do those things). The paper tape reader was a bonus.

The power of interrupts!!!!!

At my age, it just boggles my mind that all that was done with a $3.00 computer module, code, and a few switches, capacitors, resistors, and connectors.

I have several PDP/8 emulators (PiDP8, a wire wrapped Armstrong SBC6120, a few SB6120 PCB's), and I have given a PDP/8 emulator some thought. The 8266 doesn't have enough native RAM to do anything but a blah 4k version, but I have connected SPI RAM ($1.00) to an ESP8266 that runs at speeds good enough to do a credible 64K 8080 emulation with emulated CP/M disk drives (see other projects)...so...it's _definitely_ technically possible to do one with 32K, OS/8, and drives.

PS: Please do not laugh at my code. The only coding languages I've used to earn a buck in the last 20+ years are SQL and PL/SQL!!!!

One of my current projects (that I must get back to - but I am currently working at home, so I still don’t have much spare downtime despite the current situation!) is a wire-wrapped PDP-8 (thread is on the DEC forum).

This has physically 16KW SRAM, but can only use 4KW without the memory extension upgrade.

I have located the DEC 4KW disk monitor and almost patched it to work with a second serial port to connect to a PC to simulate an external disk drive. I could modify it to work with an emulator (using the same IOT instructions as for an RK05) for use with the ESP8266 and some local non-volatile storage. Sounds achievable. I’ll give it a bit of thought presently.

>>> Please do not laugh at my code.

I will have seen worse coding in my life (and these guys were paid!)...

Dave

I did get a round tuit, and fixed/recompiled the MIL monitor. This solved a weird problem I had where the monitor could not dump itself symbolically (DPS). It must have hit the problem instruction and went kaboom. I jhad attributed this to the original code, because I couldn't find the problem in the emulator.

I'm building a third version of this that will include the fix and also Mike Willegal's transcript/code of Hangman. It should be done in a few days and up on Hackaday.

It's so hard for me to change gears these days from code problems of today to those of 45 years ago!

I've updated the Hackaday site for this project with updates to the MIL monitor and Hangman.

Cheers,

That’s my bank holiday activity sorted out then!

Dave