Image Map Image Map

Thread: Looking for information on using PCMCIA flash card reader with my 486 laptop.

Default Looking for information on using PCMCIA flash card reader with my 486 laptop.

Hi, thanks in advance for your input.

I have a Toshiba T4850CT running win95, I would like to use flash storage if it is possible with this machine. If it is possible can someone help me figure out what I need?

Welcome to these forums.

Is 'Step 4 of 4' at [here] what you are seeking ?

Not precisely, I'm just looking for information on if it is possible and if so what hardware do I need. I've been looking around I see lots of flash readers for pcmcia but they all seem to be for windows xp and above OS.

If you want to use a Compact Flash card just get a PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter. I'm pretty sure those are completely passive adapters, no active electronics in them, that simply convert the Compact Flash form factor to fit into a PCMCIA socket. You can find a lot of them on eBay for less than $10 from SanDisk and other brands.

You also can replace your IDE-harddisk with IDE to Compact flash adapter and a compact flash of adequate size. I think Windows 95 can handle up to 2 GB. As compact flash is using the same protocol and commands as IDE does, Windows will not see any difference. IDE to compact flash adapter is just a mechanical thing. The only point you have to take care is that some CF cards do not talk all kinds of IDE modes (PIO, DMA, UDMA, ...) som maybe you have to try a little bit to find a compatible one. The best is to try brand names like san disk, kingston, samsung and so on at first.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ST1 View Post
    I think Windows 95 can handle up to 2 GB.
    Windows 95 from the original release up to OSR 1 could only use FAT16 formatted hard drives, and has the 2 GB partition limit. But this does not stop it from using larger drives, you just have to make multiple partitions.

Windows 95 OSR2-2.5 (B and C version) had support for FAT32 and could format a single partition on a hard drive larger than 2 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    If you want to use a Compact Flash card just get a PCMCIA Compact Flash adapter. I'm pretty sure those are completely passive adapters, no active electronics in them, that simply convert the Compact Flash form factor to fit into a PCMCIA socket. You can find a lot of them on eBay for less than $10 from SanDisk and other brands.
    Use one of those, it should work directly Windows 95, assuming your PCMCIA controller is supported.