Image Map Image Map

Thread: DEC register 8271

Default DEC register 8271

The PDP8E uses the DEC 8271 for the AC, MB and other registers. For some reason, I can not find the datasheet for this IC. I thought I had it but can not find it. Anyone have it or a link to it? Thanks Mike.

As is common it's an old Signetics part.
    See here http://www.datasheets360.com/part/de...3221418750331/ for instance.

(Common failure too in my experience ;( ).

AAAhhhhh..... Thanks gentlemen. That's were I had a copy of the information. I have a paper copy of that Signetics book. With these fancy computers, their cavernous space and easy search, I forget about my paper stuff. Thanks again Mike

Tangent: What's the reason for using a shift register for an accumulator and memory buffer register? I realize the shift function is a natural for an alu operation, but there are many other operations like add/sub/inv/inc/dec.
    Is there a tricky reason they used a the 8271 shift register?

Pretty much the only thing that is required for the PDP-8 architecture are registers, an adder, a shifter and some selection gates (also effectively implementing an OR function).

A nice and simple architecture...

Dave

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarock View Post
    Tangent: What's the reason for using a shift register for an accumulator and memory buffer register? I realize the shift function is a natural for an alu operation, but there are many other operations like add/sub/inv/inc/dec.
    Is there a tricky reason they used a the 8271 shift register?
    Probably the whim or experience of the designer that did that board. On the timing board they used the 74194 which could functionally replace the 8271. The control input encoding is slightly different for the 74194 vs the 8271, but not really significant. The 74194 can do both left/right shift, whereas the 8271 only does right shift.

It might have been a cost thing (ie, the 8271 could have been a few bucks cheaper back then, who knows).

However from today's perspective you can still buy 74xxx parts off the shelf. 82xx parts are basically nonexistent. So in hindsight a 74194 might have been a better choice.

But I don't think the DEC folks were thinking what about 40 years out for spare parts for these boards ...

Don

74179 is the 74 series equivalent of the N8271.

So..... I still have a couple of 8271 spares left. I could use the 74179 as a replacement when I run out? Mike

I'm using a 74HC193 counter for the PC, SP and index registers in a cpu design. Seems reasonable.
    4-bit, up/dn, parallel load.
    I can do AND/OR/INV/SHIFT with other logic, but this handles INC/DEC.
    In fact, shift is just a loading of all the bits miswired, same with nibble swap, so no real logic there, just connections.