Image Map Image Map

Thread: ISO Commodore cables

Blog Entries

Default ISO Commodore cables

I own a working Commodore 64, with Dataset, and 1541 Floppy, but there are no cables to connect the floppy , and itís power supplies. Unfortunately, I havenít been too tell what I need. From what I can tell, I need a separate power for the floppy, plus I need the cable to connect the floppy to the computer.

So, can someone tell me what I need to connect the computer, and floppy drive, and ultimately to a TV, or monitor?

And as always, Thanks much.

BB
    My Collection: IBM 5150 with authentic working 5161 Expansion Unit and addditional stock IBM 5150. One IBM 5160 XT - One IBM 5155 1 - Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, Original authentic IBM 5100 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor, and anything else that catches my eye.

Blog Entries

You must have a 1541-II which does require an external power supply. The 1541 just requires a standard power cable and has an internal PS.
    You need a serial cable from the drive to the computer
    You should get a 5 or 8 pin audio video cable
    All of them are widely available on Ebay and amazon

Do you have a power supply for the C64? If not, do *not* buy an original one. It will cook the C64, sooner or later. There are newer designs.

@KC9UDX - I've just "unearthed" my cache of old Commodores... Is there a way to test the power supplies? What exactly happens, is failure inevitable? I've got a box of C= power bricks in the basement, but don't want to cook anything...

Quote Originally Posted by LesB3 View Post
    @KC9UDX - I've just "unearthed" my cache of old Commodores... Is there a way to test the power supplies? What exactly happens, is failure inevitable? I've got a box of C= power bricks in the basement, but don't want to cook anything...
    Unfortunately, you really only know when it's too late. I don't know that failure is inevitable, but it is very likely. Too likely to risk burning up a C64 beyond justifiable repair.

What happens is that the 5V regulation fails. This 5V supply tends to end up at around 9V. None of the expensive custom chips in the C64 will tolerate this.

I thought there were inline protection devices that you could buy. If so, possibly someone here knows where you can get one. I think that's a good solution for someone who has a number of these supplies. If no one is selling then complete, you can always build a simple crowbar overvoltage protection device.

Quick question... Does the "inevitable" apply to the disk drives with external PS's? I.E. 1541-II, 1571, 1581...?

Quick question... Does the "inevitable" apply to the disk drives with external PS's? I.E. 1541-II, 1571, 1581...?
    My 1571 has an internal supply.?

But, in any case I don't think so. The C128 supply, The upgrade C64 supply (that comes with the REU) and the Amiga supplies don't have this problem, so my guess is that the later disk drives don't either.

Sorry! forgot the "-II" on the 1571...

Thanks for the info!

Blog Entries

Hey I just noticed that you live in Aston, PA....I live in Landenberg (down rte 1 in PA)....The issue with the power supplies is simply aging. THere were and are now after-market power supplies that are safer to use. It's best to buy a new power supply and leave the original in the box. THat said I have many that work just fine. You just have to be careful.

b
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio