Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive data recovery....

Default Hard drive data recovery....

So in my excitement of getting the old Toshiba t1910cs laptop running I hastily reinstalled windows 3.1 due to a plethora of booting errors mainly in MS-DOS. Needless to say before the clean install, I did get the old OS to boot a couple times and noticed there was a few files on there that after the fact I thought about it and would have liked to have kept. Mainly a "using your toshiba" laptop tutorial from when the machine was new.

Now after having it running with the fresh install, I tried removing the hard drive and connecting it to an IDE to USB adapter to try and recover the files. The drive just will not communicate through the adapter. Not at all. It just doesn't even register on my computer as a valid drive. I've tried multiple computers, multiple operating systems and even linux with no luck at all. However, attach my 30gig spare hard drive to the adapter and it works like a dream.

Now, whatever I have done to the hard drive, it will no longer boot inside the Toshiba, just says "starting MS-DOS" and sits there. I'm afraid to try another clean install just in case right now there is a slight chance of data recovery.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I've got a laptop to desktop adapter also but no IDE desktop to give that a go unfortunately.

Long shot, but if I were to mail my hard drive, USB adapter, Laptop to Desktop IDE HD adapter, and a blank USB drive to anyone with more knowledge that myself, what would you charge me to give it a go however you can and ship it back?

Thanks for any input!!

I have some expertise with hard drives, and more than enough equipment to talk to it. (Old IDE machines, new IDE machines, USB to IDE, narrow SCSI, wide SCSI, a variety of operating systems, etc ...) I've done this for old MFM drives, Bernoulli box cartridges, etc.

No charge if you want to send it to me. PM if you are interested.

Tim, older IDE drives don't work with most external, USB, IDE enclosures on newer computers. If the drive is smaller than ~500MB it's probably of the older type I am referring to. That means you'll need an actual computer in which to test it.

You should probably take Mike (aka mbbrutman) up on his generous offer. The price is right and he knows what he's doing.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

you guys are absolutely amazing! I'm so glad I found this forum. Can't even believe it. I'm still trying to get my wife to let me go Seattle in February for the expo... We'll have to see how expensive Christmas is and how much we pay in this year at tax time.

Anyway yeah Mike I'm about to send you a PM.

And Dave, you are correct, its a 200MB Seagate that functions normally in the Toshiba so I have no reason to thing the drive itself is junk.

Thanks for the quick Reply's guys, I can't even begin to say how ecstatic I am to share the same interests with such generous people.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Tim, older IDE drives don't work with most external, USB, IDE enclosures on newer computers. If the drive is smaller than ~500MB it's probably of the older type I am referring to. That means you'll need an actual computer in which to test it.

You should probably take Mike (aka mbbrutman) up on his generous offer. The price is right and he knows what he's doing.
    I have a 100MB 2.5" IDE hard drive which works fine with a USB IDE enclosure. I do have a few other which do not work (either 'click' sounds when connected or not recognized by Windows). In my opinion it's most likely because the USB enclosure does not provide enough power - older drive needs more current which can't be provided via the USB cable. You will have better luck using an enclosure with an external power supply. I have a 2-in-1 USB enclosure with external power supply and connectors for 2.5" & 3.5" IDE hard drives that works fine for most of my vintage hard drives.

Another problem could be IDE/ATA auto-detection. Very early drives do not support this and will fail to work when the USB enclosure meant for modern drives queries the hard disk for CHS and/or LBA information.

Blog Entries

These 2.5" drives generally need about 800 - 1000 ma at 5VDC to spin up. Once revved up, the draw drops to 500 ma or less. But that initial draw may cause your USB power supply to cut out. An external 5V power supply for the drive may do wonders.

It definitely spins up. The external drive came with a "y" usb cable of sorts. The extra usb plug goes to power in another device.

I use one of These, I have lots of old 2.5" drives and as chuck said some of them can be quite power hungry initially, It also depends on the output of the USB port some can output less than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Malc View Post
    I use one of These, I have lots of old 2.5" drives and as chuck said some of them can be quite power hungry initially, It also depends on the output of the USB port some can output less than others.
    My USB enclosure has connectors for both 2.5" and 3.5" IDE hard drives. Instead of a USB Y-cable, it has socket for 12V DC input, which provides enough power even for power-hungry devices. Among my old drives, the only one that does not work with this enclosure is a 59MB hard disk. It seems to spin up fine but does not show up in Windows. My guess is that this drive does not support auto-detection and hence cannot work with the USB enclosure. The drive works fine if I connect to my old Pentium machine and enter the CHS values printed on the label.