Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAKEMOV - Automatic MOVCPM Generation Tool

Default MAKEMOV - Automatic MOVCPM Generation Tool

I have created and modified numerous CP/M 2.2 BIOS's over the years, but rarely do I go through the hassle of creating a customized MOVCPM for the system. I've wanted to write an automated MOVCPM generator for years, but haven't taken the time to do so until now.

MAKEMOV runs under CP/M. Given two ready to SYSGEN images for a customized CP/M 2.2 at two different addresses, MAKEMOV creates MOVCPM to regenerate that system for any memory size.

See http://deramp.com/downloads/index.ph...e%2Fmakemov%2F for more information and to download the program.

Mike
    Last edited by deramp5113; November 20th, 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Blog Entries

Mike, does it preserve the serial number, so the "synchronization error" is avoided?

Chuck,

All serialization checks are disabled.

Mike

Blog Entries

That's too bad. Your tool sounds like a great thing, but hacking MOVCPM to bypass serialization checks strikes me as a bit dodgy. How hard would it be to copy the serial number from the existing MOVCPM and replicate it in the image of CP/M being used?

#include 2_cents

Although this is highly Off Topic here, but I should say that
    choice of the word serialization was a dumb mistake by DRI.
    Reading the expression "...hacking MOVCPM to bypass serializaton.."
    for someone who is not in the field is multi-translationalnessment!!!???

That and this Gawwd awful touchpad on my notebook that I hate so much.
    I am not a professional typist and I don't like to rest my wrists on the
    notebook, so my thumbs frequently touch the touchpad and my writings
    get screwed up.

That is enough complaining for now....

ziloo

Blog Entries

Okay, "serial-numbering". Happy?

But, in effect, copies were serialized in the true sense, as being numbered internally to conform to a series. When you OEM licensed from DRI, you were give a range of serial numbers that were yours, exclusively. Each copy would contain a number from the specified series, such that Customer A would get a copy that was distinctly different from that of Customer B. The copies were part of a series, hence they were serialized (in the library sense).

Did DRI ever employ the word "serialize"? I'll have to go back to my OEM kit, as it's only mentioned there, to the best of my knowledge.

As far as the touchpad, get a separate mouse.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); November 20th, 2017 at 01:38 PM.

Yes.....I checked it and it is in their official manual!
    And no.... I am not gonna talk about Kernel and Kernal,
    because then I lose my hair...

ziloo

p.s. I do have a separate mouse, but I don't have a separate pair of thumbs....
    Last edited by ziloo; November 20th, 2017 at 02:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Perhaps I should start using "karnel"...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    That's too bad. Your tool sounds like a great thing, but hacking MOVCPM to bypass serialization checks strikes me as a bit dodgy. How hard would it be to copy the serial number from the existing MOVCPM and replicate it in the image of CP/M being used?
    I'm not sure I understand your comment. A new MOVCPM is being created - there is not necessarily an "existing MOVCPM" from which to copy a serial number. Further, if your "dodgy" concern is in regard to demonstrating you have a valid CP/M serial number, why wouldn't the serial number that is already present in "the image of CP/M being used" be sufficient for that purpose?

Mike

Blog Entries

That's just my point, however niggling. In the interests of historical accuracy, DRI implemented the dreaded "synchronization error" mechanism, and it should be preserved, no? That is, the serial number in the image that you're generating the MOVCPM program from should match that of the running system. I'm aware of the dodge back in the day to generate a new CP/M from just the MOVCPM program with the "synchronization error" test disabled, but that"s not really preservation, is it?

Is distributing games with copy protection disabled any less devious?