Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disassembling a Model 16

Default Disassembling a Model 16

I need to disassemble my Model 16 to give it a thorough cleaning. The Model 16 Service Manual doesn't have a section on disassembly but the Model II Service Manual does and the chassis look the same so I was using the Model II SM as my guide. To start you remove the top which is easy. The next step is to remove the two screws securing the CRT mount to the front bezel and the screw securing the drive mounting bracket to the bezel and then pull the bezel forward. I've removed the two screws connecting the bezel to the CRT mount but I don't see the screw for the drive mounting bracket, and the top of the bezel pulls forward. It's just stuck at the bottom. I can't see anything holding I need to unscrew or release at the bottom of the bezel and I don't want to force it.

Any ideas?

Also in section 2 of the disassembly (Chassis) it says to remove the five screws from the locations illustrated, but I don't see any illustration. I got this copy from the Model II archive. Is the illustration somewhere I'm overlooking?

@Alphasite

You have to remove two screws in the black part of the bezel. This is the part behind the keyboard.
    You have to remove the wires for the reset and power switch and the power lamp.
    You have to remove the two potmeters for contrast and brightness or the wiring for those. The keyboard connector has a wire to the videoboard and need some
    attention before you can remove the bezel.

The next job is to remove the cardcage and the diskdrive. If you want to go all the way you have to remove the power supply and the video controller.

Take some pictures before you start

Quote Originally Posted by Hans01 View Post
    You have to remove two screws in the black part of the bezel. This is the part behind the keyboard.
    IMG_2773.jpg

You have to remove the two potmeters for contrast and brightness or the wiring for those. The keyboard connector has a wire to the videoboard and need some
    attention before you can remove the bezel.
    These are a real pain as you'll have to do some rewiring of connectors, etc. if you completely remove the bezel. Unless you're doing a full-on restoration, I suggest leaving the bezel loosely attached via the wires, if at all possible.

Take some pictures before you start
    Yes, take lots of pictures, especially of wire routing. And label the wires with tags so you know where each one goes.

Also, always make sure its unplugged. I know its common sense, but sometimes people forget in a rush. And watch the CRT and power supply. The CRT/PS can be a dangerous area in the Model II/16.

I can't believe I missed those two screws. I'm having to do the disassembly on a workbench in the garage and the light isn't the best but I was able to see the other stuff just fine. I'll need to set up some more lights to continue.

I have to do the disassembly in the garage as the person that I got it from had it stored somewhere with spiders and mice and there's lots of cobwebs and egg sacs on the outside and inside and what looks like mouse feces on some of the outside case. There's also some grime and dirt on the outside and dust all over inside. It should all clean off but I don't want to bring that mess in the house.

@Alphasite

Reading your reply, I think it is wise to totally strip your Model II to clean all these dirty.
    If you want to upgrade your Model II to a better one, read my posting about this item: Revival of a TRS-80 Model II

Simple green....spray it all down inside and out once the circuits are out, and let it soak for a few minutes, then wash it off with a hose real good. Use a magic eraser for anything stubborn, but get a box they dissolve fast. Then let it dry for a while based on humidity levels. (The eraser can and will remove paint on a Model 4 if not careful, so not sure if there is anything painted on that 16 you have)

Paint brush on the circuit boards, a good one, really helps get the junk out.

Simple green can pull nicotine/tar stains from a smokers computer off as well, vinegar can kill the smell some, never can really get rid of it all though. My TL3 that I've got oh man it was disgusting.

@Alphasite

Reading your reply, I think it is wise to totally strip your Model II to clean all these dirty.
    If you want to upgrade your Model II to a better one, read my posting about this item: Revival of a TRS-80 Model II
    Hans01, I have a Model II and a Model 16. The Model II is having some issues but the Model 16 is the one that needs a good cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tibs View Post
    Simple green....spray it all down inside and out once the circuits are out, and let it soak for a few minutes, then wash it off with a hose real good. Use a magic eraser for anything stubborn, but get a box they dissolve fast. Then let it dry for a while based on humidity levels. (The eraser can and will remove paint on a Model 4 if not careful, so not sure if there is anything painted on that 16 you have)

Paint brush on the circuit boards, a good one, really helps get the junk out.

Simple green can pull nicotine/tar stains from a smokers computer off as well, vinegar can kill the smell some, never can really get rid of it all though. My TL3 that I've got oh man it was disgusting.
    It's good to know about the Model 4 as I have one that I recently got that was sitting in foam for a long time. The case is dark from the foam residue. Inside it's clean. I'll need to watch out to avoid stripping the paint.

@Alphasite

Hans01, I have a Model II and a Model 16. The Model II is having some issues but the Model 16 is the one that needs a good cleaning.

The Model 16 is an upgrade to the Model II, resulting in an Enhanced Model II.
    The Model 16B is an upgraded Model 12 and has a white case and front plate and dual set of slimline floppy drives.
    Cleaning a Model 16B is a lot more difficult to do. Opening the case is a tricky job, you could easily damage the CRT and the disk drives.

@Alphasite

The Model 16 is an upgrade to the Model II, resulting in an Enhanced Model II.
    The Model 16B is an upgraded Model 12 and has a white case and front plate and dual set of slimline floppy drives.
    Cleaning a Model 16B is a lot more difficult to do. Opening the case is a tricky job, you could easily damage the CRT and the disk drives.
    I know that and I've been using the Model II to test the Model 16 boards. The Model 16 also has a white case and one or two slimline floppy drives (mine came with two).

I'm just confused about your statement since my Model II is clean and I want to keep it as a stock Model II. I'll leave the original floppy drive installed but use the HxC and your adapters for an emulated hard drive but be able to restore back to original.

The Model 16 is the one I got from someone that is very dirty. It's the one that needs restored.