Image Map Image Map

Thread: American Engrish

Talking American Engrish

I shan't be one of these kids unholstering their phones to take pictures in public places, else I could have gotten a few good ones yesterday.

One was a sign advertising "More Downroad" and the other, instructions from Honeywell requiring a 3/17" drill.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

Here's a sign at a used car lot.

And here'e the same sign... from the other side.

Here's some of the State's beautiful work. The sign on the left is approaching the intersection from the south, the the other from the north.

P2050897.jpgP2050896.jpgProject2.jpg
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

I'm unable to see the discrepancy in the signs. If you're coming from the south, Runnemede is to the left, or west I guess. If you're coming from the north it's to your right then to your right, same direction. Am I right about it?

I thought Mt. Ephraim was in Pennsylvania? Maybe every state has one. Why do you specify south Jersey? Is there still a conflict between the north and south factions? I know a lady that calls the state New Jerky lol.

We have a sign at work that says "PEDERSTRIAN CROSSING".

I wonder what is the point of an approval of it's gauranteed?

Poor Ephraim, they could have at least made it say "MIARHPE TM" and "EDEMENNUR".

Oh they spelt it wrong. Somehow missed that. I was looking for something juicier.

Our ship went to Jamacia once, my buddy snapped a picture that showed what looked like 1 sign but really two stacked up. Top sign "Sleeping Police Ahead" Bottom sign "Quiet <br /> Hospital Zone" Careful camera work got a picture that left off the hospital zone part. I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.
    Another expression which puzzled me is that in Canada, an unmarked police car is referred to as a "ghost car".

And then there's this emergency battery-powered "open" sign...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
    ....I had never heard speed bumps called sleeping police, apparently it's a pretty common term in England.
    Yes we have lots of them around the estate where i live, They are a pain in the arse, But they do the job, They keep the boy racer's away, It was quite funny when they were first installed, I often saw some idiot driving too fast in their noisy stupid looking car with lowered suspension, It was even noisier when they got their exhaust ripped off going over the bumps.