Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any BBS sysops around?

Default Any BBS sysops around?

I know there were BBS systems online a decade before I put mine up in 1988 but I was wondering if there were many other BBS sysops hanging out in here?

I was one of the sysops of Mount Olympus BBS out of Washington D.C. in 1988 and 1989, until a hard disk crash took it offline. We used QuickBBS 2.03 and had a small number of other boards that we did echomail with using Binkleyterm. I toyed with putting it back online and improved the setup until about 1992.

I've had screen shots of the improved setup up on my web page for a long time but had never found a backup of the board as it was actually online for use. A few weeks ago while going thru old floppy disks I found a ZIP file that contained all of the ANSI and ASCII menu display files, as well as a PowerBasic program I'd written to move around them as if you were actually logged into it. I wrote the program around 1992 but the menu files are all dated in 1988.

I'd love to hear about other sysop's boards

Jeff
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

I ran the 'Gloucester County Bar BBS' in the early 1990s for the Gloucester County Bar Association.

It used PCBoard 15.x and had 4 nodes, all of which resided on a 486DX2-66 running Desqview.

It was open to the public and had all the usual BBS features, including internodal chat (aka CaveMan SMS) which the local high school kids found irresistible at the time. Back then there weren't many (if any) other local boards with 4 nodes/chat.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

I ran our corporate BBS finally using Auntie on a Windows NT box. Worked quite well. I don't recall what I used before that under MSDOS, but I'm sure I still have the disks.

Blog Entries

I ran a Telegard BBS up in Ontario Canada called Hilltop BBS. It was an effort by our school to join the digital age but it eventually evolved into a regular BBS.

Blog Entries

Co-sysop for a Commodore user group and Amiga BBS in Omaha until 1993. The Amiga sysop died recently.
    Rick Ethridge

Blog Entries

I ran one called Mother Russia in the late 80's early 90's. Fidonet 1:362/666
    The final version was wildcat running on a 6mhz original IBM AT board.
    I had a second node running for a while using a compaq portable networked with the 286 running networkos. Login on the 8088 was slowwwww.

Later,
    dabone

Hi fellow bbs'ers.

In the 80's I ran a bbs on a pc clone using rbbs. "The Thunder Dome BBS".

Funny thing tonight I ran across a piece of shareware I wrote that had a reference to my bbs and the old phone number.

Mount Olympus was run on a Leading Edge Model D XT-clone. We had to go thru the files to keep things pruned to a managable level and had been planning on upgrading the hard disk when it crashed. The original version that was online played heavily on the Mount Olympus theme and was more fun/RPG oriented. The revised version that never went online was more streamlined and leaned more towards the tech side.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

Ran a BBS back in Arizona, I think I peaked out at 3 phone lines for it. Late 80s, early 90s.

Wrote a few door games in my time, too.

Another one here, used to run one using RemoteAccess in the early 90s. A few years ago I stripped it of all obsolete things (like time banks, many message boards, fido/bluewave etc) and brought back online (telnet + web page plugin) for people to fool around. Still alive at otsbbs.eu