Thread: Any BBS sysops around?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ..... The Intertubes are everywhere.

This is what Google found about "Intertube":

images (1).jpg

Chuck......is that your pooch....

ziloo

Quote Originally Posted by cchaven View Post
    I think for a practical purpose, not just for nostalgia or as a display, the main reason would be if a group didn't want the message traffic and files to be out on the 'net. Whether it be something like a camp where it allowed the exchange of things without the connection to the outside world or whatever. If the BBS supported download the QWK offline message packets users didn't even need to stay online to go thru new messages.
    While that does make sense there's always encryption, e.g., PGP, etc., to ensure complete security of online conversations and the like. And this is while still availing all the inherent speed and convenience we're so used to.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    While that does make sense there's always encryption, e.g., PGP, etc., to ensure complete security of online conversations and the like. And this is while still availing all the inherent speed and convenience we're so used to.
    It was meant more as just an example of what such a setup might be used for, answering the question, not necessarily something that would be a widespread use.

As has been shown by the successful hacker attacks on banks and online services such as Yahoo. encryption doesn't always keep malicious hackers out. Data connected to the 'net isn't secure. So the most secure systems would be ones not connected to it. Add that a great many people in the US at least no longer have landlines nor have use for a modem. A small network of modem based BBS systems then look rather secure for exchanging things.

As an aside, you should see the antique telephone guys go on about VoIP and lack of landlines.
    Collection online nonstop since May 1997: http://www.cchaven.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ziloo View Post
    This is what Google found about "Intertube":

images (1).jpg

Chuck......is that your pooch....
    Aw, c'mon, it wasn't that long ago (2006) that the then-senator Ted Stevens said:

They want to deliver vast amounts of information over the Internet. And again, the Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
    Tubes, man, get with the times! (Although, the "big truck" analogy escapes me at the moment...)

As has been shown by the successful hacker attacks on banks and online services such as Yahoo. encryption doesn't always keep malicious hackers out..
    Ahemmm... please, don't take statements out of context. I did not say 'encryption' as a stand alone descriptor. I specifically said... 'PGP' which is something that is way beyond the capabilities of the average hacker.

I really doubt any geared-up professional hackers would be the least bit interested in gathering up something as non-profitable or uninteresting as some camp info or anything even remotely similar'.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I really doubt any geared-up professional hackers would be the least bit interested in gathering up something as non-profitable or uninteresting as some camp info or anything even remotely similar'.
    One might think that, but we live in the age of Really Big Data, so there are probably outfits who want to suck up every bit of data available and use it for profiling you. The net result may be that they know more about you than you do.

O brave new world
    That has such people in't!

--"The Tempest", Act 5, Scene 1

I'll admit my point drifted a little

I'll admit my point drifted a little
    Not all that far, actually. And the point was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    One might think that, but we live in the age of Really Big Data, so there are probably outfits who want to suck up every bit of data available and use it for profiling you.
    For someone to be able to conflate user dribble on a BBS with CC data or anything else of real value is certainly a stretch, at the least. IMO, it would be way more work to do this than to just extract and cash in on the actual CC data itself!

I was a BBS user for far longer than I was a sysop...and in fact met my wife of 30 years on a local board...but as much as I enjoyed the scene in the 80's and early 90's I'll admit that it's another of those things that is quickly fading into the past. As I mentioned in a previous post, even it's infrastructure of landlines and modems is quickly disappearing. While collections such as Aminet have replaced the local BBS as a file depository, forums such as this have replaced Usenet and the local BBS message bases for discussion and interaction. This forum is the direct descendant and heir to the old dialup BBS. It was a fun ride though!