Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Any BBS sysops around?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    For someone to be able to conflate user dribble on a BBS with CC data or anything else of real value is certainly a stretch, at the least. IMO, it would be way more work to do this than to just extract and cash in on the actual CC data itself!
    I have no idea, since I'm not in the racket.

Quote Originally Posted by ziloo View Post
    Is there any practical use for a BBS today?
    It depends on what you mean by "BBS"... we could certainly run something that functioned very much like a BBS over telnet or ssh. Some people I think still do that. Once you've connected yourself to the Internet though, you have a slippery slope, with your BBS eventually turning into a forum.

As far as an old POTS modem BBS, I don't see any practical use. Yes, you could achieve some degree of intrusion prevention by physically disconnecting yourself from the internet, but a hypothetical intruder could still reach you through the modem.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
    It depends on what you mean by "BBS"... we could certainly run something that functioned very much like a BBS over telnet or ssh. Some people I think still do that. Once you've connected yourself to the Internet though, you have a slippery slope, with your BBS eventually turning into a forum.
    If you're talking about messaging, then IRC seems to be pretty close to multi-user BBS chat. For file storage, I'd say that ftp is pretty close to BBS file sections.

Non-chat BBS messaging seems akin to email.

In short, the capabilities are there; we've just given them (new) names, historically speaking.

The Government were big users of BBS's in the past, not sure how prevalent these days, but I know they use to use MajorBBS / WorldGroup on many of them.

Here is a list of Government BBS's that hasn't been updated in a zillion years.

https://www.scribd.com/document/1000...nt-BBS-Numbers