Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything special about the LCIII?

Default Anything special about the LCIII?

They seem to be selling quite well were I am and I am baffled as to why?
    Was there something special about them?

Maybe because it's the least crappy of the original LC series?

I laughed for about five minutes after reading that response.

Well, all in all it's a pretty nice machine.

was not really fond of LC series, but have a few now, a better machine anyway than LC and LC II's.

pretty useful for doing a lot of things (creating floppy discs...)

the case being slim, also easy to stock everywhere.

I remember I had stacks of them 10-15 years ago and couldn't give them away or even pay people to take them. They would ask if it had the Apple IIe card, and if not, no interest at all.

I didn't think they would have any comeback in value. Lesson learned. However, they are a cheap machine and most don't work anymore anyway.

The LC III and III+ are popular because they're not crippled like the first two LC machines were.

Despite Apple retiring the 68020 CPU on the Macintosh II earlier in 1990, they re-introduced it on the Macintosh LC later in the year. But this time they crippled it with a 16 bit data bus (the 68020 is a 32 bit CPU.) They also artificially limited the machine to have a maximum of 10 MB of RAM (2 MB onboard, 8 MB in 2 x 4 MB 30 pin SIMMs.) You could install more, but the machine wouldn't recognize it. The LC had the weird resolution of 512x384, and required a now difficult to find 68 pin VRAM upgrade to use 640x480 video at 8 bit. There was also no 68881/68882 coprocessor socket, but you could add one with a PDS upgrade card. All of these issues make it a hard to use machine now because you're basically required to use a CRT for the weird video resolution, and many applications won't work below 640x480.

The LC II was a slightly less crippled LC. It upgraded the CPU to a 68030 @ 16 MHz, but was still essentially the same besides the onboard memory being upgraded to 4 MB.

The LC III fixed all of those issues. The 68030 was upgraded to 25/33 MHz on a full 32 bit bus with a socket for a co-processor. It had 512k of onboard VRAM so it could do 640x480 at 8 bit natively, or 16 bit with a 256k VRAM upgrade. It could also do 832x624 at 8 bit with the VRAM upgrade. You can overclock an LC III to LC III+ speeds (25-33 MHz) by moving some resistors on the motherboard. Just make sure the CPU has a heatsink and fan or the machine will be unstable.

Quote Originally Posted by rittwage View Post
    I didn't think they would have any comeback in value. Lesson learned. However, they are a cheap machine and most don't work anymore anyway.
    Yeah because the capacitors leak and fail. My LC III had this happen awhile back, it was a pretty irritating process to recap the board because of the SMD capacitors.

Blog Entries

My first freecycle conquest was a pair of LC III's ages ago (with school markings of course). Some guy had a mobile home full of them. One of them promptly whistled itself to death (bad caps) and was probably my fist recap job (worked fine after).

The units themselves are the best LC model (not crippled) and Ethernet cards for them are pretty cheap. If you are on a budget and want a 68K mac then this is your best bet (have you seen the prices for full blown 68k machines lately?). I actually have a Daystar adapter for an LC III that will let you run a 68040 in it (have not bothered to try it yet). I also removed one of my LC III motherboards and put in a full blown 68040 board (heatsink barely clears the cover).

I also have an LC I with dual floppy drives just because of the oddity of it.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Because I had one new as a kid in 1993? Well, not me personally, but the family?
    It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

I just realized why the ones I saw sold so fast, they had Apple IIe cards in them.

If they had the Y-cables as well, that would make a great little box.

My IIe card is in my Mystic Colour Classic, though.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html