Image Map Image Map

Thread: Found ALTOS MPM II Ver 2.11F2 system disks, now to locate the machine !!

Blog Entries

Smile Found ALTOS MPM II Ver 2.11F2 system disks, now to locate the machine !!

During my emptying of a 20ft shipping container that I had some of my collection stored in, I found 3 boxes of 8" floppies

One box contains Genuine ALTOS DYSAN disks marked

MPM II Ver 2.11F2 system over two Double density disks disks, they suit models -10, -10D, -12, -12D, -14, -14D, -15, -15D (c) Digital Research

2.6F AND 1.11 {NON DMA Version} Versions Diagnostics Double density disks, -10, -12, -14, -15, (c) Altos Computer Systems

MTU 4.52 Magnetic tape OS. Single Density (c) Alloy Engineering

Async 3.01, Asynchronous Comm. Pkg. (c) Redding Group

Fortran 80, Compiler Single Density (c) Microsoft

Now to locate the machine in my remaining storage, Hope I have not disposed of it. !!

Also need drag out and power up one of my other 8" drive machines, to see if these discs are still readable.

In the short term, maybe I can attach an 8" drive to one of my Linux boxes to view disks. ?

Come to think of it, where the heck are all my 8" drives stored. I REALLY have to down size my horde.
    Last edited by inotarobot; November 26th, 2017 at 02:42 AM. Reason: added the Altos systems these disk are for

Quote Originally Posted by inotarobot View Post
    In the short term, maybe I can attach an 8" drive to one of my Linux boxes to view disks.
    If you are connecting the drive through a Kryoflux, then yes.

Otherwise, assuming the motherboard has a real floppy disk controller, you will need to use DOS (includes 7.x from Win9x) and ImageDisk to make disk images. But be mindful of the limits of real FDCs such as not all support FM encoding or 128 byte sectors in MFM mode. Not sure what format geometry for those would be.

Which Altos system are those for?

Blog Entries

Downsizing your horde means that you will quickly know that you don't have parts and will need to order replacements to use any interesting hardware that comes along. Two weeks to search the stock seems better than paying to wait two weeks for a shipment.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    If you are connecting the drive through a Kryoflux, then yes.

Otherwise, assuming the motherboard has a real floppy disk controller, you will need to use DOS (includes 7.x from Win9x) and ImageDisk to make disk images. But be mindful of the limits of real FDCs such as not all support FM encoding or 128 byte sectors in MFM mode. Not sure what format geometry for those would be.

Which Altos system are those for?
    Hi I have edited the primary post to include this information. Sorry for missing it initially

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    Downsizing your horde means that you will quickly know that you don't have parts and will need to order replacements to use any interesting hardware that comes along. Two weeks to search the stock seems better than paying to wait two weeks for a shipment.
    Well major issue is the original stock data base I had using dbase 2 has gone the same way as the machine it was created and maintained on. Its packed somewhere in the many boxes that make my horde.

Back when I packed my house and workshop and moved, "the Cloud" did not exist. Had it done then most likely I would have had easy access to data on my collection and parts.

Thanks for the input. I do worry about down sizing my 'Horde", but i have so much stuff that is difficult to access in its current storage state. And this is going to have to change pronto.

Just had an experience today of needing a working reasonably recent desktop machine that I could add a IDE 5 1/4" HD drive to by cable. For some reason I cannot access this drive using an USB-IDE interface connected to my laptop.

However I had got rid of all machine of this period about 12 weeks ago.

Have much earlier machine (working ) and very late machines (that are only SATA, and no IDE on-board. + I don't appear to have an IDE disk controller on a suitable "bus pcb") so