Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any UK based S100 users out there ?

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    Really pleased it all seems to be working - I can spend some time reading the manuals and figuring out HOW it all works.
    Fantastic! Congrats on getting it working

I have to admit, the delayed posts confused the hell out of me on this thread.

Cheers,
    Dave

Just to answer the original question, I am UK based and have an S100 system - an IMS 8000 (industrial Micro Systems) Two 8" Shugart floppy drives, Linear power supply and 12 slot S100 board. Its the basic setup with the I/O card, CPU card, floppy controller card and 4 16K RAM boards. It came with CP/M 2.2 and quite a lot of software - I've recently got my NEC APC 8" drives hooked up to a Pentium PC via and FDADP adapter so I can back up the software disks it came with - With the APC drives, I can even read some disks that the IMS 8000 could not seem to read such as my copy of TLO (The Last One)

Only trouble is, the IMS 8000 developed a fault a while ago - It no longer seeks the boot disk when you turn it on - I'll get round to fixing it one day!

Quote Originally Posted by zippysticks View Post
    Folks,

Having just acquired a Northstar Horizon (doesn't seem to boot from floppy) I wondered if there are any UK based users out there - particularly if you based in the South East. Could do with some help getting mine to work and sourcing interesting s100 boards.
    Not in the UK but I do know a lot about Horizons and currently rebuilding one, which is going well.

On power up a disk led should light up.

On several of my boards the tantalum capacitor on the nominal +16v rail - which may be +22v blew
    on some memory boards the cap after the -12v reg was shorting.

The monitor EPROM was not normally fitted.

Check PSU voltages on the big caps and examine the tantalum caps on the boards

A CPU, HRAM card and FDC is the normal basic configuration.

The disks are addressed normally with drive select jumpers and the last one in the chain has a terminating resistor pack. The FdC allows for four drives. Drive 0 boots.

see: www.connect.gi/northstar.htm

Great to read about your progress. I might have been a bit luckier getting mine going with minimal effort but lots of great tips in your text regarding things to watch out for.

Quote Originally Posted by alan8086 View Post
    Just to answer the original question, I am UK based and have an S100 system - an IMS 8000 (industrial Micro Systems) Two 8" Shugart floppy drives, Linear power supply and 12 slot S100 board. Its the basic setup with the I/O card, CPU card, floppy controller card and 4 16K RAM boards. It came with CP/M 2.2 and quite a lot of software - I've recently got my NEC APC 8" drives hooked up to a Pentium PC via and FDADP adapter so I can back up the software disks it came with - With the APC drives, I can even read some disks that the IMS 8000 could not seem to read such as my copy of TLO (The Last One)
    Getting off-topic a bit here, but I was just floored to learn that IMS "still exists" to this day[1]. It seems to be one of the exceptions of early microcomputer companies of the 70's lasting beyond 3-5 years or the eventual PC onslaught.

Anyway, happy S-100-ing!

[1] http://www.s100computers.com/Hardwar...ry/History.htm

Pleased to see a bit of replugging got things going, IBM S/34's were like that.

I failed to point out you can get a lot of information from the parity LED on the ram card.

It should light up on power applied an then goes out when a disk boots. If it does not light up
    the memory card i duff.

I can't recall any CPU faults, but memory and the disk controller account for most problems
    after the drives. As someone mentioned the CPU is set to jump to E800 which is the default
    address of the memory mapped FDC.

Good luck.

Yes it does look like that. I upgraded a number of 32K boards to 56K - Although the board may have originally been designed for 4108's NorthStar seem to have bought up a batch of 4116's with either a high or low bit fault and the boards we had were populated accordingly with graded chips. I paid a company called 'Hotel Micro Systems' based in the UK 40 for the details of the mod which was replace all the chips with new good 4116's which had fallen in price, and add some diodes for address selection leaving a hole for the memory mapped FDC. The mod worked very well and saved a lot of money. I upgraded around eight boards and expect they did more in the UK.