Image Map Image Map

Thread: TRS-80 Model 4 Floppy disc drives

Blog Entries

Default TRS-80 Model 4 Floppy disc drives

Please pardon my reposting of this particular thread, but I didnít see where I posted this previously.

I have a couple of extra full height floppy disc drives in my parts bins. What I want to find out is whether or not I can swap out the full height single sided disc drives with a couple of double sided 360Kb drives. What I really want is to replace the two single sided floppy disc drives with a pair of 5.25Ē full height 360Kb drives in my parts bins.

This will give my TRS-80 Model 4 a pair of full height 360Kb floppy disc drives instead of the two 180Kb single sided floppy disc drives. If the TRS-80 will accept the double sided floppy drives, I will effectively double the floppy storage capacity, and ultimately make my TRS-80 Model 4 much more usable.

If I cannot use double sided floppy disc drives in my TRS-80, can someone here explain why?

As always, thanks in advance.

In addition, if I am able to swap out the floppy drives, I will replace the two drives in my spare 5150 Leaving that computer with both of the 180Kb single sided floppy disc drives and my TRS-80 Model 4 with two 360Kb floppy disc drives. I then plan to sell the spare 5150.

Ultimately, I will still have an extra IBM 5160 XT left with a double sided floppy drive, and an internal 10 Mb hard disc. Then too, I will still have my TRS-80 with a pair of 360Kb floppy disc drives. By installing two double sided floppy disc drives, the computer will actually become more universally operational.

So, will that work?
    My Collection: IBM 5150 with authentic working 5161 Expansion Unit and addditional stock IBM 5150. One IBM 5160 XT - One IBM 5155 1 - Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, Original authentic IBM 5100 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor, and anything else that catches my eye.

They should work but if you have the stock floppy cable with missing pins you'll need to make or buy a new cable that's not missing pins.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick reply. Your answer is music to my ears. I honestly don’t know which cable to buy, but I’ll find out, and plan to swap the floppy drives this coming weekend. Another thing I’ll do is perform a memory upgrade taking the computer from 64Kb to 128Kb. Finally, I’m also thinking about changing out the black and white display in favor of an amber monitor.

Again, thanks for the quick response. Once the floppy drives are swapped out for twin 360Kb floppy disc drives. Here’s wishing you a fantastic holiday season.
    My Collection: IBM 5150 with authentic working 5161 Expansion Unit and addditional stock IBM 5150. One IBM 5160 XT - One IBM 5155 1 - Mac SE FDHD, Apple IIe and TRS-80 Model 4, TRS-80 Color Computer Model 1

Wanted: - IBM 5170 AT, Original authentic IBM 5100 Portable, IBM 5151 Monitor, and anything else that catches my eye.

I made the new cables for my Model 4 GA and 4P. That way I could make them the length I need and include enough extra to make it easier to connect to the drives. I bought the connectors in bulk off Amazon along with several feet of ribbon cable because I had a few systems that needed new cables. A proper crimper is useful and isn't too expensive.

I hope you have a great holiday season, too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphasite View Post
    I made the new cables for my Model 4 GA and 4P. That way I could make them the length I need and include enough extra to make it easier to connect to the drives. I bought the connectors in bulk off Amazon along with several feet of ribbon cable because I had a few systems that needed new cables. A proper crimper is useful and isn't too expensive.

I hope you have a great holiday season, too.
    I am not quite ready to do the floppy drive swap just yet. I want to wait till I get the parts to complete a memory upgrade that will take the TRS-80 Model 4 from 64K to 128K. That way, I only have to open the computer’s case just once. I am also considering another option too. That is swapping the black-and-white screen with either a green, or amber one. I would prefer the amber option, but I will accept either one when I’m ready. I will still do the other upgrades at one time though. The monitor swap can wait till a later time..

I am curious though, what would you charge me for the cable I need for the floppy disc drive swap? If, it’s not too expensive, I would like to buy a cable from you if at all possible. I definitely don’t have the necessary tools to make my own cable(s). Plus, with my need to make only one cable, buying the proper tools will be a terrible waste of money; money I can use in order to get the necessary parts to finish any upgrades I may run into while swapping the floppy disc drives, and memory upgrades.

As I previously mentioned too, I am also considering the additional option of swapping the monitor for another one at a later time.

If you can send me a private message with the price of a new diskette drive cable, I would consider buying the cable right away.

FrrThanks again for your quick responses. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thomas