Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C= Pet 'Abraxus' found in Australia?

Default C= Pet 'Abraxus' found in Australia?

I bought this yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ABRAXAS-...vip=true&rt=nc

I don't think its an MMF or 9000, looks more like a 4032 or an 8032.

Anyone have any clue from the pictures what the 2nd circuit board is likely to be?

I should receive the computer in Melbourne by the end of the week.

Ian.
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Nice find! It'll be fun to hear what it turns out to be.

Do tell. If you can manage to get ROM dumps/technical information about the thing (CPU chips, clock rates, etc.) then that would be a swell addition to emulators like VICE and MESS.
    Join your local penny pincher movement today!

So... the lower board looks like the normal Pet board, and the one above seems to have a cable down to a CPU(?) socket on the mainboard, and the 2nd board as best I can see has 4 banks of Ram chips (maybe 16K per bank = 64K for a total of 96K). a 40 pin chip and a 28 pin chip.

could it be a Z80 board or a video board?

How did the implement the 80 columns display on the 4032 to make it an 8032?
    *There is never a charge for Tech Support even if you don't purchase from me - We are Enthusiasts Helping Other Enthusiast and that is just the way it is

Um, looks like a standard CBM4032 with a standard 64K ram expansion board in there.
    Maybe I can get some stick on letters from the dollar store and stick them on a PET and sell it as "rare".... LOL

Steve
    WANTED: CBM-II hardware or software, PET software

Well that's good to know. All I want is a working Pet and if its just a 4032 then so much the better. Any CBM Pet is rare in Aus. $200 to me is well within what I consider acceptable.

If it is a 4032 does anyone make replacement nameplates?

Looking at it again. Perhaps it's not quite standard.

It has an "n" (normal/graphic) keyboard, which means the computer was originally a 4000 series (40 column) machine. The label on the back will probably say 4032. However the motherboard appears to be a "universal dynamic pet" board with all the chips. This means it is from an 8000-series (80-column) machine. That kinda makes sense given the 64K ram board. That would make the machine an 8096 if it weren't for the "N" keyboard. The 80-column machines all shipped with the "B" (business) keyboard. This means the "Editor ROM" (the chip on the bottom right with the white label on it) is probably a custom patched EPROM (to support the "n" keyboard).

You could convert this machine back to 40 columns if you want a 4032 by modifying the jumpers on the board.

The 64K ram board is fairly rare, however there's not a lot of software that will use it. If you just want a 4032 you wont need this board.

On my PET Labels page http://www.6502.org/users/sjgray/com...els/index.html you can download a 4032 low profile vectorized label that you could use to make a replacement label.

Steve

Are we sure it is just a RAM card? Seems to be awfully big for that, and the onboard regulator... Hmm. I have a 64K RAM expansion here, it is half the size and runs off one of the PET's low voltage connectors (no onboard regulator).

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Are we sure it is just a RAM card? Seems to be awfully big for that, and the onboard regulator... Hmm. I have a 64K RAM expansion here, it is half the size and runs off one of the PET's low voltage connectors (no onboard regulator).
    Yes, it's Commodore's standard 64K ram board for PET/CBM machines. This is the same board used in the 8096.
    commodore_PET_64K-expansion-kit_board.jpg
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    Interesting, could be an SRAM board. Probably made with newer ram chips that take less power. The old DRAM's take up too much power and need 3 voltages. Newer chips only need +5V which means they don't need the different voltage regulators.
    Who makes the card? Skyles? Do you have a picture?

Steve
    Last edited by sjgray; November 28th, 2017 at 01:24 PM.