Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick mini rants.

Default Quick mini rants.

I'll start. Why the heck is everything called an APP now? Games are not apps. Games are games. The generic word was "PROGRAMS" and "Applications" were serious, non-gaming programs.

What's your quickie? Or reply to mine.
    GoFundMe Plz Share with your friends.

Blog Entries

You are about 25 years too late on this. hDC's big product line was MicroApps which included tiny games.

A Micro correction to a mini rant.

Blog Entries

Thanks to App stores everything that used to be called a program is now an App (games, utilities applications, etc.).
    Games are just a subset of an application (software).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Nobody programs programs anymore. They code apps.

The App thing goes way back. I think I first encountered that term with the first release of GEOS, and I don't think it was a new term then.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

What is it with "two cellos?" Why do musicians feel the need to put on a circus?

Blog Entries

I hate that motherboard manufacturers can't make up their minds on whether to keep or get rid of PS/2 ports.

I also hate LCD makers who have reverted to putting all the transformer stuff right at the plug, so that it doesn't fit on a standard power bar. WTH do they keep doing this?

Also, I hate vintagecomputermuseum, whois flogging this 680 case I'm pretty sure he himself bought from ebay a few months ago for twice the price... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122832084302

Because people are lazy and have to sound cool. Application is too serious and less sexy then app.

Blog Entries

Mini rant: I hate that people call them "DOS machines" instead of IBM PC clones, or just PC clones (before anyone jumps down my throat, the "clones" modifier implies that PC = IBM PC and not Personal Computer). Or even just PCs. "DOS" is not a company that made computers.

Mini-rant #2: I hate it when people jump down my throat for using the term "PC" to describe IBM PCs. Yes, Personal Computers existed before the IBM PC, but we called them "home computers" back then.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Also, I hate vintagecomputermuseum, whois flogging this 680 case I'm pretty sure he himself bought from ebay a few months ago for twice the price... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122832084302
    Saw that one this morning. Immediately recognized the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Mini rant: I hate that people call them "DOS machines" instead of IBM PC clones, or just PC clones (before anyone jumps down my throat, the "clones" modifier implies that PC = IBM PC and not Personal Computer). Or even just PCs. "DOS" is not a company that made computers.
    Yep, and there are plenty of non-PC compatible machines that run DOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Mini-rant #2: I hate it when people jump down my throat for using the term "PC" to describe IBM PCs. Yes, Personal Computers existed before the IBM PC, but we called them "home computers" back then.
    I always thought of home computers as a subset of personal computers. As in, personal computers that were designed to be used in a home (eg built-in support for TV, and generally designed to be affordable, and versatile, usually also somewhat game-able).
    In that sense, I think eg the Atari 8-bit machines, the Sinclair machines, and Commodore VIC-20 and C64 would qualify, but eg an Apple II or Commodore PET would not.
    Likewise, the IBM PC is not a home computer, but the PCjr clearly was an attempt at a home computer-spinoff of the PC.