Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Quick mini rants.

  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by facattack View Post
    What's your quickie? Or reply to mine.
    When Windows 10 says "Tap here..." even when it knows you're not using a touch-screen.

    When radio announcers say "backslash" instead of "slash" in a web site URL. You'd think in the past 24 years they'd be able to figure out that Internet URLs don't have backslashes in them.

    Web sites with floating toolbars that always get in the way of what you're trying to read (old-computers.com, I'm talking about you!).

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Back in the day I did hear 'PCs' being referred to as 'MS-DOS compatibles'. So it's at least somewhat legit.
    Although there was an important distinction between "MS-DOS compatible" and "IBM PC compatible". In the early to mid-1980s, plenty of computers were MS-DOS compatible but not IBM PC compatible, such as the Tandy 2000, DEC Rainbow, Zenith 100 series, etc.

  3. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    When radio announcers say "backslash" instead of "slash" in a web site URL. You'd think in the past 24 years they'd be able to figure out that Internet URLs don't have backslashes in them.
    It's not limited to radio. It's just as bad on TV as well.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    When Windows 10 says "Tap here..." even when it knows you're not using a touch-screen.
    In all fairness, both that and "click here" are poor substitutes for "select here."

    When radio announcers say "backslash" instead of "slash" in a web site URL. You'd think in the past 24 years they'd be able to figure out that Internet URLs don't have backslashes in them.
    How about the fact that all URIs begin with www? Even email addresses. Of course, these people will gladly tell you that since taking that class, they really know what they're talking about; they became computer "illiterate".

    Web sites with floating toolbars that always get in the way of what you're trying to read (old-computers.com, I'm talking about you!).
    The ones that automatically move off screen (there are many here that do that) wherever you try to scroll them back on screen.
    Be polite and I may let you live.

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It's not limited to radio. It's just as bad on TV as well.
    And some of the radio/TV ad agencies are so old-fashioned that they still play dial-up modem handshaking sounds in the background when promoting a web site.

  6. #26

    Default

    I think that by playing the 'old-fashioned' card they're just trying to come across as...cool, but I might be giving them a little too much credit.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    25,233
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    In all fairness, both that and "click here" are poor substitutes for "select here."
    Ah, those old prompts that said "Hit any key" got people worried that they'd be taken literally.

    I like to confound people by using the word "octothorpe" instead of "pound sign" or "hashtag". You'd think that if the interest was in brevity, the word "sharp" would be used (as in musical notation). I'm still waiting for someone wondering what all of the "hashtags" are about in a musical score.

    I like the military "stroke" for "/". "Slash" sounds too violent. You do run the risk of sounding like the coxswain of a rowing crew if you indulge in this practice too often...
    Last edited by Chuck(G); November 29th, 2017 at 11:28 AM.

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    I like to confound people by using the word "octothorpe" instead of "pound sign" or "hashtag". You'd think that if the interest was in brevity, the word "sharp" would be used (as in musical notation). I'm still waiting for someone wondering what all of the "hashtags" are about in a musical score.
    Interesting. In the UK the pound sign is which just happens to be on the same key (shift-3) on a UK keyboard as # is on a US keyboard. I had to go and look up the etymology... didn't realise/realize they *both* have their basis in the measurement of mass.

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Ah, those old prompts that said "Hit any key" got people worried that they'd be taken literally.

    I like to confound people by using the word "octothorpe" instead of "pound sign" or "hashtag". You'd think that if the interest was in brevity, the word "sharp" would be used (as in musical notation). I'm still waiting for someone wondering what all of the "hashtags" are about in a musical score.

    I like the military "stroke" for "/". "Slash" sounds too violent. You do run the risk of sounding like the coxswain of a rowing crew if you indulge in this practice too often...
    I had been spelling it Octatherpe due to the kind of information that was available prior to the world wide web. And whilst I usually say "stroke", once in a while I'll say "oblique" just for kicks.

    When my daughter was very young, she called the performed hash browns that we buy "hashtags" so everyone in my house calls them that.

    To this day I (incorrectly?) see sharps and octothorpes as distinct symbols. To me, sharps are more oblique (!).

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    When my daughter was very young, she called the performed hash browns that we buy "hashtags" so everyone in my house calls them that.
    Is that supposed to be preformed, by chance?
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

    There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •