Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Quick mini rants.

I posted to reddit a few weeks ago the one-liner, "It's not a hashtag, it's an octothorpism!"

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

My mini-rants about tech stuff.......mostly enterprise environment crap...

- Why is it that we can't decide on ONE bloody connector for video. As a technician it's a pain in the ass having to explain to clueless users and admins why the hell they need some kind of cable they most likely don't have on hand. In 1987 - the PC industry decided on VGA - DB15B D-Sub Shell connectors for everything, and if it was not, it was DB9 - did it go away, nope, we just tacked DMS-59, DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini DisplayPort, Mini HDMI, Micro HDMI, MicroDisplayPort, and at least half of those are unidirectional using conversion cables in some way. Throw in some older dell monitors and you can toss SVIDEO, Composite, and Component in on top of it for some weird reason.

- Subcompacts laptops and DONGLES, DONGLES DONGLES, EVERYWHERE!!! You need one for ethernet so you can join the domain and add admins, you need one for the gazillion video ports above. And of course, the people doling out the hardware either forget them or do like a guitar shop does when they sell you the Stratocaster and forget the hex wrenches for the truss rod, bridge saddles, and whatever else, and the Whammy bar. So then you get some poor guy whose leaving in a day asking you if you can huury up and install Windows on his laptop in a network-boot environment - or he can't figure out how to install Windows because his device can't network boot because it's a Lenovo and the dongle is for a bloody HP. I can only imagine home users getting frustated because they lose the darned things - only thing is it's far easier to travel back to the sock drawer than it is to Amsterdam.

I got one of this installed, ... and man I hate it, cant sit in front of this thing without getting multiple blinds spots looking straight...cant find my way out of the room either until past 20 minutes. I am changing it ASAP, though how do you search for the more normal temperature ones. Do they go by any specific name?
    IMG_8288 (1).jpg
    IBM 5160 zero-XT. System Specs: Original IBM XT motherboard 256KB-640KB|XT-IDE Rev01, Code V. 1.1.5|Intel Inboard 386 with 1MB RAM (Cyrix 486 upgraded)|Intel AboveBoard PS/286 with 4MB RAM (2MB RAM Piggyback expansion)|Lotharek's HxC SD floppy emulator Rev F|High Density Floppy Controller Mini/Micro4|ATI VGAWONDER XL24 1MB|Sound Blaster CT-1320 (with CMS chips)|Monitors: IBM 5151, IBM 5153, and IBM 8515|Printer: Juki 6100|Keyboard: IBM Model M Space Saver|Mouse: Logitech P7 (BUS mouse)|Joystick: Kraft Premium III

Blog Entries

What is that thing part of? One of the problems with those awful blue LEDs is that some of the light lies in the long UV area, which really fouls things up with vision. It's my opinion that parts of one's eyes actually fluoresce in this light, in addition to blue light scattering more.

There are these things to help You can also put a dab of fluorescent paint on it to change the color toward green.

You could also swap the LED out for a cyan one. Greener, but not as irritatingly blue.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); December 1st, 2017 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks Chuck, worth trying some of these out, the light dims seem the easiest of all 3.
    The led is connected to the voltage regulator of a set of fans inside the case. The fans are there to help the Inboard 386 (up 486) to cool off and maintain the temp between 41C~43C degrees. Without them the main processor in the board can reach 47C degrees, 51C degrees during the Hot&Humid Japanese summer. The Led intensity varies with the Fan speed that can be controlled with a knob located in the floppy front panel, however even at the lowest speed the light is too bright. The best would be to get one f those Temp Light Blue LED I read above or add another resistor to the led.

The BLUE Led is the white one on the right side, the RED led on the left side is just the HDD activity light connected to the XT-IDE
    image1.jpg
    image2.jpg
    image3.jpg
    IBM 5160 zero-XT. System Specs: Original IBM XT motherboard 256KB-640KB|XT-IDE Rev01, Code V. 1.1.5|Intel Inboard 386 with 1MB RAM (Cyrix 486 upgraded)|Intel AboveBoard PS/286 with 4MB RAM (2MB RAM Piggyback expansion)|Lotharek's HxC SD floppy emulator Rev F|High Density Floppy Controller Mini/Micro4|ATI VGAWONDER XL24 1MB|Sound Blaster CT-1320 (with CMS chips)|Monitors: IBM 5151, IBM 5153, and IBM 8515|Printer: Juki 6100|Keyboard: IBM Model M Space Saver|Mouse: Logitech P7 (BUS mouse)|Joystick: Kraft Premium III

Blog Entries

You could also try dimming them with a permanent black magic marker.

Blog Entries

Anyone else "amused" that staid, stolid, boring IBM is using music from early 70s L.A. wild man Harry Nilsson in advertising for their cloud?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by DaCiRo View Post
    I got one of this installed, ... and man I hate it, cant sit in front of this thing without getting multiple blinds spots looking straight...cant find my way out of the room either until past 20 minutes.
    Try LightDims:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WSJNCW

Quote Originally Posted by MikeModifed View Post
    Anyone else "amused" that staid, stolid, boring IBM is using music from early 70s L.A. wild man Harry Nilsson in advertising for their cloud?
    I love it! 'Jump into the Fire' is an all time great. I had almost forgotten about it and now I listen to it regularly, whether on the TV or some other device. I'm glad IBM brought it back into the forefront.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vwestlife View Post
    I believe I posted a link in #44 already. No sense in over-advertising a commercial product.