Image Map Image Map
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Quick mini rants.

Blog Entries

I just checked my internet speed and I get 23Mbs/2.3Mbs. They have a cheaper package locked in for 1 year with 50Mbs but I have yet to bother since this is good enough and they will jack up the rate after a year anyway. I worry more about latency then bandwidth these days (if you play any games online).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

My current 20Mb/sec trains at 26 and gives a local round-trip at 24. But then, I can see the RT from where I'm sitting.

I don't like being sick. Weds I barfed so much.... anyhow I only dared drink gingerale for two days. Today I went after some ice cream and other foods. Then i drank soda again and I'm gagging again.
    GoFundMe Plz Share with your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by facattack View Post
    I'll start. Why the heck is everything called an APP now? Games are not apps. Games are games. The generic word was "PROGRAMS" and "Applications" were serious, non-gaming programs.

What's your quickie? Or reply to mine.
    Dude I am 100% with you on this. Constantly correcting my kids and wife.. "Say program or Application!" they think Im an idiot. It just drives me nuts!

I view the word "App" as a derogatory meaning a program that does nothing useful. A screen saver that makes farting noises would be an "App", while Microsoft Office is an "Application".

I think you've summed up the term "App" perfectly there. I still can't get my head around the idea that someone is willing to put in their email to download an "App". On the phones, a lot of Apps seem to do something entirely useless as far as I can tell. There are some now that "allow you to read the news" from you're favorite news channel. I don't know why a bookmark isn't sufficient.

I don't know what is an accurate term to describe them, so I will just use "people who are really into technology but don't really have any knowledge about it, and constantly tell you how geeky they are". They seem to be obsessed with newness to the point of absurdity. They often say something along the lines of "Hey this is the $version+1", it just came out, oh this is soooo great!" But can't really justify what is so great about it. I used to just put it down to marketing, but recently it's getting almost creepy.

Then you ask a real geek something along the lines of "What word processor do you use?" and get the response "Wordstar".

I recently had someone getting almost irate, because I said I use mainly text files and use emacs that was originally written in the late 70's.
    Looking for: OMTI SMS Scientific Micro Systems 8610 or 8627 ESDI ISA drive controller, May also be branded Core HC, Please PM me if you want to part with one.

A planet that's evolving And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Recived a notice from my ISP. It says all base/starting speeds will be at or over 100mbs in my area.
    Ran a speed test and in still at 12mbs.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    I don't know what is an accurate term to describe them, so I will just use "people who are really into technology but don't really have any knowledge about it, and constantly tell you how geeky they are". They seem to be obsessed with newness to the point of absurdity. They often say something along the lines of "Hey this is the $version+1", it just came out, oh this is soooo great!" But can't really justify what is so great about it. I used to just put it down to marketing, but recently it's getting almost creepy.
    I usually use the word "consumeroid" or "consumertard". To me, those describe the kind of people, who given a choice of similar products, will choose the absolute worst one just because it is loaded up with eye-blinding blue LEDs.

Quote Originally Posted by mR_Slug View Post
    I recently had someone getting almost irate, because I said I use mainly text files and use emacs that was originally written in the late 70's.
    There was a news story recently about some small cafe chain deciding that they would no longer accept cash. The scary thing is the public honestly views this as being "hip", rather than what it really is - an unpatriotic sacrifice of privacy.

That also reminds me of a discussion with someone a while back, they were going on about how valuable their "smart" phone was to them just because they used it to keep lists of things they needed to get at the store. They literally could not even fathom the idea of using a piece of paper and a pencil, which is exactly what I do without any expensive mobile device.

Blog Entries

It yoostsaby illegal to refuse cash. Oh well it's not like we can say nobody warned us. Soon it won't be credit cards or smartphones. It'll be a tattoo, I think.

I thought about this the other day when I saw a sign noting the refusal of large bills. Really, does it make sense to refuse $100 bills where it's normal to spend $25 or more?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    There was a news story recently about some small cafe chain deciding that they would no longer accept cash. The scary thing is the public honestly views this as being "hip", rather than what it really is - an unpatriotic sacrifice of privacy.
    This!