Image Map Image Map

Thread: can you add memory to tandy 1000's TX or SX

Default can you add memory to tandy 1000's TX or SX

Hi guys,
    Can I buy an 8 bit memory card to upgrade my memory on the tx (other than the 128 I already installed for vram)? Do they work?
    One more question off subject, is there anything that can replace or emulate the compaticards I II and IV???
    thanks for any help you can provide me.
    Jim

According to the tvdog archive, there isnt really any thing you can do to utilize the high memory (extended) on those systems and your best bet is to use EMS if you have an application.

There is a lo-tech card that can do EMS, but you have a small ram window to work with, and I still dont know for sure if you can use any of that for UMB and DOS.

Might be able to get one bank working and load 64k up there, but not sure I haven't tried it and I've seen and read mixed reports.

I know that the qtest program will tell you once you put the card in if you can use it. I think the lo-tech 1meg card might be able to give you a little ram in an unused block as well, but the BIOS may be in the way. The lo-tech 2meg card would benefit some apps like Lotus 1-2-3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmaxx View Post
    Hi guys,
    Can I buy an 8 bit memory card to upgrade my memory on the tx (other than the 128 I already installed for vram)?
    How much memory is already installed, and what do you want to run that requires memory beyond what is installed? Do you have a program that won't run because it claims "not enough memory"? If so, what is that program?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)
    - Any very old/ugly IBM joystick (such as the Franklin JS-123)

The Jack Nicklaus signature design golf game. I also run it on vga so that may also cause it to run slower. I use dos 6.22

Blog Entries

How much memory is already installed?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Documentation and original distribution disks for: Panasonic Sr. Partner, Corona PPC-400, Zenith Z-160 series
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

640K in the 1000 sx and 768k in the tx. I dont really care if this particular software works or not, I can put the regular jack nicklaus in but it made me wonder if by any chance there is a certain 8 bit card that I can install that would upgrade my memory so I can put dos in high mem or use Qemm or something like that.
    Since I started fooling around with the 1000's I have found out that the xt-ide rev 3 card can be installed in both sx tx and up to 850mb hard drive can work in them, I also found that the use of the compaticard II can upgrade the drives to high density. My idea was, that if those changes exist then maybe a memory upgrade can be installed with a certain card Im not aware of also.
    thanks again.
    Jim

Blog Entries

Without going into a lengthy technical explanation, your 1000 SX and 1000 TX are upgraded to the maximum amount of memory that DOS games of that era support. Since your TX has more memory, and since it uses a 286, it can run more games, more enjoyably. It's a good gaming system for 1985-1989 era games.
    Offering a bounty for:

gotcha, thank you all...