Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: increasing pc speaker volume?

Default increasing pc speaker volume?

My DOS PC's speaker is kinda quiet. How would I go about increasing it's volume for games that only use that for sound? Would I have to replace the speaker itself?

Blog Entries

Depends on how far you're willing to go. You can install a cheap amplifier that takes its input using a dummy load resistor and a coupling capacitor in place of the original speaker--and use the original speaker fed by the amplifier. Shouldn't take more than a watt or two of amplifier. There are probably kits on eBay.

Some sound cards have a PC speaker connection on their mixer, such as the Sound Blaster Pro. You can just connect a wire from the PC speaker header on the motherboard to the sound card, and then the audio will be routed via the mixer and the onboard amplifier of the soundcard, allowing you to use headphones or speakers.

For unpowered speakers connected to a SoundBlaster card, make sure to install the SoundBlaster software. You can then set the volume there (and make sure to adjust the volume knob, too.) I learned that recently. :P

What component of the sound are you missing. A 2.5 inch speaker will never produce window shattering base unless the cone flies out and hits the window.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    What component of the sound are you missing. A 2.5 inch speaker will never produce window shattering base unless the cone flies out and hits the window.
    Dwight
    It's just too quiet overall... games with adlib music but pc speaker sfx the sfx gets drowned out by the music at low volumes even.
    Last edited by TravisHuckins; November 28th, 2017 at 09:08 PM.

"Back in the day" the easiest solution was just to connect a 12" speaker instead of the standard one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    "Back in the day" the easiest solution was just to connect a 12" speaker instead of the standard one.
    ...or just use a set of headphones. Plenty loud and won't annoy the quiet souls around you.

But make sure to install a potentiometer. That POST beep can be deafening.

My PC setup is in a giant room where I also have a bunch of musical instruments and a recording setup so I'm not worried about annoying people. lol