Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: increasing pc speaker volume?

Blog Entries

Do you have a separate amplifier with line-in inputs? You can use that...

I might try the Sound Blaster approach or try using the speaker from my old Gateway 2000 which was much louder if I could get it out.

I installed the speaker from my Gateway 2000 case and it puts out a good volume. I can actually hear them in games with adlib music now! The strange thing was that the speaker had the same specs but just louder for some reason. I guess early 90's speakers had better volume than the ones in the later 90's.

Blog Entries

Actually, for the best match, you should be using a high-impedance (say 16 or 32 ohms) speaker. Or better yet, try a small output transformer, say 500 ohm to 8 ohm. That's my reckoning anyway...

Related question: I'm working on a project where I need to capture PC speaker audio accurately on an external board. I've considered a couple solutions and am about to build a board to test all of them. And then this thread started me questioning by current method. I want to capture the true acoustic sound coming out a typical 4 or 8 ohm speaker ala 5150. It doesn't have to be real time.

The external capture card has other analog circuitry on it and needs to have a clean analog domain as possible. So rather than connecting the (-) speaker lead to the card's local ground, I figured I treat the input as a current loop. I have the speaker inputs run through a 16 ohm resistor and input side of an opto-isolator. The other side is a Schmidt open-collector output to a digital pull-up to the input of my capture IC. I figured with only a PIT driving the speaker, this would transfer the pulse modulated wave-form accurately to my capture device. Then I could apply a set of filters in post that mimic the frequency response of any physical speaker I want.

Does this sound sane? Or should I try and use an ADC instead?
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Blog Entries

I've already done some tests on this very subject. It's not finished, but I have samples and reasoning for you to watch. I'll send you an email.

Not only a PIT drives the speaker -- there were CPU-driven methods. Not sure if your circuit accounts for this, or whether it is even relevant for your purposes.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

Depending on you particular system and sound card, some BLASTERS have an input jack for system sounds as well as an input for CD-ROM's.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Sound cards that route speaker audio have their own set of pros and cons.

It's killing me that I don't have my video on this very subject finished. I'll try to finish it up this weekend and post a link here.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - The software "Overhead Express" (doesn't have to be original, can be a copy)
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Blog Entries

What Jim said--it's quite possible to do software-driven PWM through the speaker, for example.

This is good because I'm about to wrap Jim up into this project. So careful about getting me excited!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me