Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie - Just acquired a CBM 3032

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post

If they're at all greasy I spray boards with Fantastik/Formula 409, brush with an old toothbrush, rinse well with water (optional: distilled, followed with Isopropyl) and dry with a fan; never a problem.
    Some people put 'em in the dishwasher and dry them out in the oven. Apparently they live near computer recyclers.

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    Some people put 'em in the dishwasher and dry them out in the oven. Apparently they live near computer recyclers.

-CH-
    That's mostly keyboards, but I wouldn't recommend it for a PET keyboard.

@OP: just curious: what are the numbers on the 'E' ROM IC at UD7 ?

m

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    Some people put 'em in the dishwasher and dry them out in the oven.
    I know Commodore PET main boards are not considered 'High Reliability" electronics, but in the aerospace industry, if a board had been cleaned using a water process, it must go through a 24 hour dry-out in a Thermo-Vac Station under high temperature and high vacuum to outgas all the introduced water vapor and contaminates. Otherwise its long term reliability would be very compromised.

Leave it alone, give it a soak test. If there are no problems at all after a few hours, spray using compressed air can (when switched off and unplugged) and leave it.

I would not wash it, take chips out or anything at all as it would disrupt anything.

*Speaking from years of experience on handling and restoring vintage electronics.*

Paul

P.S. Here's the old technie rule, "if it works don't touch it!"