Image Map Image Map

Thread: Wikipedia's Apple MacOS "System Software" numbering

Default Wikipedia's Apple MacOS "System Software" numbering

Does anybody know where Wikipeida got their version numbering for early (before 6.0.x) Macintosh system disks? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Mac_OS

Wikipedia points to an Apple publication with those numbers, but I still don't see where these came from.

Numbers like 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7 appear nowhere on disks with System 1.x or 2.x. Some later disks are "System Tools" bundles and have "System Tools 1.0" through "System Tools 2.0.1" written in the disk's description field. But as far as I can tell, that only refers to the bundle, not the OS, and wasn't even consistent across bundles for different machine models.

One source says these came from an Apple developers CD, and that these numbers were just arbitrarily pulled out of the air and don't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    One source says these came from an Apple developers CD, and that these numbers were just arbitrarily pulled out of the air and don't mean anything.
    This source is closest to the mark, IMO. None of the early system disks are "versioned" on the label, apart from their part number. They had System file versions and Finder file versions in varying combinations, and it's complicated by bootable application disks like MacDraw or MacWrite occasionally having other combinations than were on the system disks. The notion of a "unified system release" just didn't exist until (at latest) System 5.x.

There was indeed a document on one of the earlier Apple Developers CDs that laid out the various combinations in a table and tied them to some single unified system release number. But it has the feel of a backformation, because, IMO, it IS a backformation.

Well, at least 5.x is fairly cut and dried - the box and disks clearly label them as 5.0 or 5.1 but on the disk the System version is 4.2 or 4.3. So the only confusing part is if someone is referring to System Software/Mac OS or System version numbering.

There also does not appear to be any untouched clean dump of System 1.0 (.97)/Finder 1.0 out there for me to examine. But the way these disks were used, I'm surprised any survived at all.