Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what has happened to my hard disk?

After changing some bios settings in my modern PC, I was able to get the drive to boot there but not in my 286. I wrote an image to the disk of DOS 5 which boots in my modern PC but again not in my 286 where I get "missing operating system", which is a different error message than before which was "NON SYSTEM DISK OR ERROR".
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Blog Entries

I suspect that the machines view the disk differently vis--vis geometry.

Chuck is right.

What are you using for C-H-S in the 286?

Remember, the modern PC can translate; the 286 can't.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

Even translations on PCs that can translate can vary. I remember having an HP Vectra (P1, maybe) that would only go as high as 254 heads, so the number of cylinders, etc. differed from a non-HP machine that used 255 heads. Others, IIRC, put an upper limit of 240 on the number of heads.

We sometimes forget the world before LBA, although SCSI has always done things that way.