Image Map Image Map

Thread: Atari 520 STFM Vertical line on the display

Default Atari 520 STFM Vertical line on the display

Hi Folks,
    I have vertical lines on the display of my STFM. The are black when on the desktop but change to other colours depending on the background oimage.
    So far I have ruled out the display (monitor) and the PSU, by substitution.

Do anyone have any ideas what could be the cause.

I would be most grateful for any help you could offer.

Tel
    Attached Images Attached Images

looks like memory gone bad.

If programs/games/demos still run correctly then it could be a bad connection of the shifter chip.

From memory: In the early days they were socketed, later Atari added a clip to keep the chips 'in' and after that they simply soldered them directly to the board.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gertk View Post
    If programs/games/demos still run correctly then it could be a bad connection of the shifter chip.

From memory: In the early days they were socketed, later Atari added a clip to keep the chips 'in' and after that they simply soldered them directly to the board.
    Please don't try the old "drop from 2 inches fix" which was commonly advised in the past. Take it apart and re-seat the socketed chips
    Dave
    G4UGM

Looking for Analog Computers, Drum Plotters, and Graphics Terminals

Thanks Guys,

Alas all my chips are soldered except the roms. I have studied the shifter from above and it looks like it may have a dry joint on pin 40, I will take the board out and re-solder when I get a chance.
    Does anyone know what pin 40 does. I am assuming it is pin 40. Its the one opposite pin 1 so I guess it could be pin 2, not sure.