Image Map Image Map

Thread: John Wilson's/DBit's DLVDB25 DLV11-J RS-232 Cable Adapters

Default John Wilson's/DBit's DLVDB25 DLV11-J RS-232 Cable Adapters

Recently someone mentioned John Wilson's DLVDB25 adapter board, which is used to build DB25 breakout cables for things with DLV11-J pinout serial ports (DLV11-J, onboard serial on things like the KDF-11 and KDJ-11, some 3rd-party disk controllers, etc.). Here's a link to the project page:

http://www.dbit.com/wilson/dlvdb25/

I added 100x of his boards to my last PC board order. I ran them on thinner stock than standard, sized to fit the Amphenol DB25M connectors I have a ton of. Finally remembered to add 10-pin IDC wire-to-board connectors to my most recent Mouser order. Here's the result:

Works fine, after I realized you obviously can't swap a DB25F for the DB25M the board is designed for A bunch of people have expressed interest in having these, so I have a few questions:

* Does anyone want kits?
    * What length cable?
    * Should I bother with a key pin in the DLV11-J side connector? It has a keying tab, but it'll actually plug in upside-down on the DLV11-J!

If anyone needs one or two right this very minute, I do have enough parts to make up a few more. I wanted to make sure the wire-to-board connector was going to work before ordering a large quantity, they're expensive enough that I didn't want to have 100x and nothing to do with them.

For use in a BA23 or similar chassis the cables could be fairly short. For a BA123 a little bit longer. For something like an 11/84-E box which could slide out of the rack with the connector mounted in the rack maybe a few feet.

Would these fit ok in connector shells to also be used as loose cables instead of mounting them to panels?

Does anyone have something like a Greenlee RS232 DB25 punch? Those aren't cheap even used on eBay. Are there other ways a panel bracket could be built with say 4 DB25 cutouts that would mount in a BA23 or BA123?

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    For use in a BA23 or similar chassis the cables could be fairly short. For a BA123 a little bit longer. For something like an 11/84-E box which could slide out of the rack with the connector mounted in the rack maybe a few feet.
    That's what I was thinking, lots of variability even between the few boxes I've got. And you don't want to end up with a bunch of cable coiled up behind the panel in your mounting box!

Would these fit ok in connector shells to also be used as loose cables instead of mounting them to panels?
    I'll have to dig out a shell and try, but I believe that's what John was going for when he designed it.

Does anyone have something like a Greenlee RS232 DB25 punch? Those aren't cheap even used on eBay. Are there other ways a panel bracket could be built with say 4 DB25 cutouts that would mount in a BA23 or BA123?
    I've got various Greenlee D-SUB punches, but the idea of doing that by hand for any significant number of holes makes my wrists ache just thinking about it They're really for an, "I'm making one and I don't want to set up the milling machine" kind of scenarios. If folks are interested I can see about laying out a little panel and having them laser cut -- I've got a friend with a very nice laser cutting setup who will run jobs like this basically at cost, as long as it's hobby stuff. I've got an arbor press for knocking some PEM nuts into them once they're cut out.

I would like 4 of these to go with my DLV11-J.

I will also need a hint about what to do to convert from the 25 pin male connector to a 9 pin female connector to attach to the two SIO ports on my laptop.

Thanks,
    smp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smp View Post
    I would like 4 of these to go with my DLV11-J.

I will also need a hint about what to do to convert from the 25 pin male connector to a 9 pin female connector to attach to the two SIO ports on my laptop.

Thanks,
    smp
    There are lots of variations of these around: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00066HOWK

There are also cabled versions of various M/M F/F M/F F/M combos, either straight thru or wired as null modem.