Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help setting up mTcp

Default Help setting up mTcp

Hi,

I have an 486 system that I am trying to set up mTcp on. Iím using a NE2000 compatible ether net card. I am using the Crynwr packet driver (v 11.4.3) running from my autoexec.bat. I call it by NE2000 0x60

When it loads it shows that the software interrupt is 0x60, Interrupt number 0x9, and the I/O port is 0x300. It then gives me my MAC address.

In my mtcp.cfg file I have the packetint set to 0x60, I also have my ip address information hard coded. In the mTcp log file it shows all of the correct IP configuration information. ip,netmask,gw, and nameserver.

When I ping an a machine in my network I get ďTimeout waiting for ARP response.Ē From the mTcp ping client. I know itís a good address as I can ping the same address from any machine in my network.

Using tcpdump on another machine both running on the same Ethernet hub (NOT A SWITCH) I can see the ARP requests going out and the queried machine answers the ARP request . For some reason the mTcp stack does not appear to be receiving the ARP reply.

I know the Ethernet cable is good. I tested it physically with a cable tester. I can also see the traffic LED on the Ethernet card flashing. And outbound traffic reaches my sniffer.

Iíve also tried a different Ethernet card.

Any tips would be really appreciated. Might I have an issue with the HW int 0x9?

Cheers,

len

Blog Entries

Run the dhcp program. It'll set the network values in tcp.cfg. This sorted a problem I was having.

Is the SET MTCPCFG = C:\mtcp\tcp.cfg set in the autoexec.bat file?
    Last edited by Caluser2000; December 1st, 2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

If you are able to send packets but it looks like you can not receive packets then it is almost always a problem with the selected hardware IRQ. If the hardware IRQ for the packet driver is not set correctly then incoming packets never make it to the packet driver, and then never make it to mTCP.

Please double check our hardware interrupt number and look for conflicts. On a 486 system IRQ 9 should be safe to use.

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    If you are able to send packets but it looks like you can not receive packets then it is almost always a problem with the selected hardware IRQ. If the hardware IRQ for the packet driver is not set correctly then incoming packets never make it to the packet driver, and then never make it to mTCP.

Please double check our hardware interrupt number and look for conflicts. On a 486 system IRQ 9 should be safe to use.
    That's what I was thinking, it's just been decades since I was "expert" with these systems. I thought it would be easier to get this going on a newer machine before I set it up on my 5150 or 5155... I still need to fine a suitable 8 bit ethernet card.

In any case, being dumber that I was in the 80's, how can I tell what HW interrupts are currently used by the system. I pretty much have standard HW in the system. (IDE, two serial, VGA) With a NE2000 can I force it to use a different INT?

What 8 bit ethernet cards are you guys using in your PC/XT systems? 305's?

len

GOT IT!!!

Thanks to you Linus for the miracle of Linux. I pulled the ethernet card in my bench Linux system to detect the current configuration of the card. It told me that the card was set up on INT 10. With the addition of an 0xA on my dos driver init I am now cooking with gas! So much to remember.

Now I'm off to find cards for the older PC's.!

Thanks for your responses guys. It helps to kick start and old brain.

len

Yeah, a lot of the crynwr drivers will initialize with the wrong IRQ, and you get exactly what you've described. FWIW, Linux kernel modules will too, sometimes, especially if you let them autoprobe.

Blog Entries

Nice to see another mTCP user. Well done.
    Thomas Byers (DRI)- "You'll have a million people using the A> [MS-DOS prompt] forever. You'll have five million using [nongraphic] menu systems such as Topview, Concurrent PC-DOS, Desq, and those types. But there'll be 50 to 100 million using the iconic-based interfaces."

Quote Originally Posted by Caluser2000 View Post
    Nice to see another mTCP user. Well done.

It's heartwarming to have a community to help out.

As to your Thomas Byers quote... Although not the A> prompt, it you count the zillions of Linux prompts he may have way underestimated those who spend their lives at a command prompt. (As I do.)

A few weeks ago I built an 1802 membership card. I've designed a nice little interface around a Raspberry Pi 3 that interfaces to the M.C. When I was writing the software, which is ncurses based, I remembered how fast the non mouse/icon driven interfaces were. The functionality is not M$ word by any means, but for a simple tool it just works. I have always tried to tell others how inefficient it is to take your hands off the keyboard to grab the mouse, few understand.

Long live the "A>"

len