Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help setting up mTcp

That's the intent ... it should just work.

Enjoy,
    Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    That's the intent ... it should just work.

Enjoy,
    Mike
    And that it does, thank you!

len

Just for the record. I had this very same error message:

“Timeout waiting for ARP response.”

when trying to link two 386s using MTCP. Both worked with a Linux machine but not between them. After lot of tinkering, network card swapping, sniffering (yes, there was network traffic between them), ... I noticed that I have explicity configured MTU on one of them (1500 bytes) but not on the another one (576 bytes). After configuring the MTU on both sides to match, all started to work just fine. I suppose that it worked with Linux because PMTUD is implemented on its TCP/IP stack.

ARP responses are less than 200 bytes; MTU being too small should not have affected ARP in any way.

Were the two machines directly connected or was there a hub or router in between them? I have seen cases where directly connected machines can't talk because of slight incompatibilities but with a third device between them everything is fine.

Yes, there is a switch between them. I know that it seems odd but everything is connected to the same switch. These were the symptoms:

* Linux server to any of the vintage pcs -> worked
    * Connection between vintage pcs -> did not work

everything connected to the same switch. Cards in full duplex mode (putting them in half duplex did not solve the problem). As soon as I changed the mtu to 1500 on both vintage pcs it started to work. Maybe the problem is with the switch itself. It's a D-LINK 8 ports @ 1Gbps, I do not remember the exact model and I do not have it here to check.

I've had random problems out of cheaper gigabit switches when using them with 10baseT hardware, everything from vintage cards with AUI transceivers through modern embedded stuff like SIP or IAX ATAs. Zero problems out of "enterprise grade" stuff (Cisco, Brocade/Foundry, etc.). I think I've eliminated all of the problem consumer gear stuff.

FWIW, most of the "blue metal box" Netgear stuff seems to be OK.

Blog Entries

I got rid of my netgear switch because it was putting out a LOT of EMI that I was picking up on my Radio (Ham) in the HF spectrum. The cisco switch I am now using seems to be much quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by 8008guy View Post
    I got rid of my netgear switch because it was putting out a LOT of EMI that I was picking up on my Radio (Ham) in the HF spectrum. The cisco switch I am now using seems to be much quieter.
    Yeah, my core stuff is now Cisco (2960G and 2940, soon to replace the 2960G with a 3560E), but occasionally I use a little standalone switch for test setups. Used enterprise stuff is the way to go IMO, it's cheap if you wait long enough, and it's built to a much higher standard.

I know this is an old thread, but it seems relevant to my problem. I'm trying to get MTCP working on my DOS/Win 98 box. I have a 3COM Fast Etherlink XL 10/100Mb TX (3C905-TX) and someone sent me what I believe is the correct driver for my card. I got the driver to see my card and install software for it. However I can't figure out how to set up the packet driver or get DHCP to work. My card has the following stats (according to the program):

Device Number: 6
    Bus Number: 0
    I/O Port Address: 5000h to 503Fh

And the Packet Driver program says it the I/O Base is 20480 (0x5000) and the interrupt is 5 (0x5).

The config file wants a PacketInt variable, but I'm not sure what that would be. I would assume 0x5. So in my config file I have:

PACKETINT 0x5
    HOSTNAME ATARIPC

that *should* work, but when I run DHCP it says:

Init: could not setup packet driver
    Could not initialize TCP/IP stack

Any ideas?

Read the PDF documentation. You are specifying a hardware interrupt instead of a software interrupt. The documentation explains the difference.