Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help setting up mTcp

I don't have a PDF, or one didn't come with the file I found. Do you have a link?

It's where you downloaded mTCP from ...

http://brutman.com/mTCP/

Ok I think I'm still missing something (please bear with me).

I run 3C90XPD.com and it spits out the following:

NIC Type: 3COM Etherlink 100 PCI NIC
    Bus Type: PCI
    Slot: 6
    BusNo: 0
    I/O Base: 20400
    Interrupt: 5
    Transceiver: MII Based
    Link Speed: Full Duplex
    Ethernet Address:
    Packet Driver Interrupt: 97 (0x61)

The packet driver interrupt changes each time I run the program.

If I put the Packet Driver Interrupt into the CFG file then DHCP runs, but it times out. So something isn't quite right still.

There are two interrupts you are dealing with.

• The hardware interrupt. This is what the hardware uses to wake up the packet driver when a new packet comes in.
    • The software interrupt. This is how mTCP talks to the packet driver.

The hardware interrupt depends on the card and how it is installed. In the example above the hardware interrupt is 5. The software interrupt (packet driver interrupt) is something you set on the packet driver command line, and then you tell mTCP. It is usually 0x60 or 0x61.

PACKETINT should be set to 0x61. You should only be loading the packet driver once; if you have loaded it multiple times reboot and start clean. Having multiple loaded would be a mistake.

Interestingly now it appears that running DHCP freezes the system. I can't even pres ESC to cancel it.
    Last edited by tempest; March 29th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.

Check your hardware settings and look for conflicts.

DHCP doesn't freeze for anybody else. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of people using it on a wide variety of hardware. When something like this happens it is usually bad hardware or user error with regards to hardware setup.

DHCP doesn't freeze for anybody else. There are hundreds, possibly thousands of people using it on a wide variety of hardware. When something like this happens it is usually bad hardware or user error with regards to hardware setup.
    Oh I don't doubt that. I guess I should check for conflicts then. The hardware is good as far as I can tell.

Blog Entries

Something doesn't look right with that io base -- have you run a 3com config program to reconfigure/test the card?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Someone sent me a different drive so I tried that and it found and configured my card. This is what I have now:

Device Number: 6
    Bus Number: 0
    I/O Port Address: 5000h to 503Fh

So running this command: 3C90XPD.COM /S=6 /K=0 /I=60

And this is my mTCP config file

PACKETINT 0x60
    HOSTNAME ATARIPC

However this doesn't work. DHCP can't find my card. I noted that /I60 set the interrupt to 60 (0x3C). I assume we want it at 0x60 so I tried /I=96 but now DHCP just times out.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    Someone sent me a different drive so I tried that and it found and configured my card. This is what I have now:

Device Number: 6
    Bus Number: 0
    I/O Port Address: 5000h to 503Fh

So running this command: 3C90XPD.COM /S=6 /K=0 /I=60

And this is my mTCP config file

PACKETINT 0x60
    HOSTNAME ATARIPC

However this doesn't work. DHCP can't find my card. I noted that /I60 set the interrupt to 60 (0x3C). I assume we want it at 0x60 so I tried /I=96 but now DHCP just times out.
    Are those options correct? I'm willing to bet that you have /S and /I reversed ... /S is probably the software interrupt, which should be 0x60. /I is probably the hardware interrupt, which should be the hardware interrupt reported by the packet driver. (I don't know what "Device Number" is, so that might be wrong too.)