Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help setting up mTcp

Did you read http://www.brutman.com/Dos_Networkin...etworking.html ? It might help you understand what you are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Are those options correct? I'm willing to bet that you have /S and /I reversed ... /S is probably the software interrupt, which should be 0x60. /I is probably the hardware interrupt, which should be the hardware interrupt reported by the packet driver. (I don't know what "Device Number" is, so that might be wrong too.)
    According to the instructions:

The driver supports the following options:

/I = software interrupt (20h -FFh); default = 60h
    /S = slot number (0 - 31 for PCI)
    /K = bus number (0 - 7 for PCI)

You must specify the bus type if the bus number and the slot number
    are used. The bus number is used specifically for PCI.

Blog Entries

What happens if you don't specify the /s and /k options?

These cards usually have a setup program, have you tried running it and having it configure and test the card? I noticed the packet driver keeps setting the card up as IRQ 5 but do you have a sound card installed at IRQ 5?

Software for this card should be at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C905C-TX_DOS/ with windows drivers at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C905C-TX_Win/ and windows diagnostics at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C90X_Diags/

I've confirmed the DOS driver package contains 3C90XCFG.EXE which you should run under DOS to configure and test the card. The packet driver is also in that distribution.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    What happens if you don't specify the /s and /k options?

These cards usually have a setup program, have you tried running it and having it configure and test the card? I noticed the packet driver keeps setting the card up as IRQ 5 but do you have a sound card installed at IRQ 5?

Software for this card should be at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C905C-TX_DOS/ with windows drivers at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C905C-TX_Win/ and windows diagnostics at ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/3com/3C90X_Diags/

I've confirmed the DOS driver package contains 3C90XCFG.EXE which you should run under DOS to configure and test the card. The packet driver is also in that distribution.
    Yes I've run that program and this is how it configures things. Sound card is using IRQ of 10 according to Win 98. What's the easiest way to check which IRQs are in use? Maybe there's another conflict?

Blog Entries

You can find the Microsoft utility/executable MSD in W3.1. MSD is an easy way to find out what you IRQ's are attached to.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

The 3C90XCFG.EXE program also has diagnostics. If you run the diags, does the card pass?
    Offering a bounty for:
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

The 3C90XCFG.EXE program also has diagnostics. If you run the diags, does the card pass?
    Yes it does. The card also works in Windows 98.

Blog Entries

If that's the case, I would run the packet driver without any options at all. It will default to 0x60 for the software interrupt (double-check the output to be sure), you can set PACKETINT 0x60 in mtcp.cfg, and that should be enough.

Sometimes my vintage systems don't get reliable DHCP over a wifi bridge/dongle, so I have to connect them with an actual cat5 cable to my switch, then they work. Use a cable for testing if you're not already.
    Offering a bounty for:

If that's the case, I would run the packet driver without any options at all. It will default to 0x60 for the software interrupt (double-check the output to be sure), you can set PACKETINT 0x60 in mtcp.cfg, and that should be enough.

Sometimes my vintage systems don't get reliable DHCP over a wifi bridge/dongle, so I have to connect them with an actual cat5 cable to my switch, then they work. Use a cable for testing if you're not already.
    DHCP times out. I wonder if it's somehow related to my router. I actually have this going through an old Linksys WRT54G that I've turned into a switch. Most things work with it, but I know my Xbox had issues trying to go through it and I had to hook it up directly to my router.

Quote Originally Posted by tempest View Post
    DHCP times out. I wonder if it's somehow related to my router. I actually have this going through an old Linksys WRT54G that I've turned into a switch. Most things work with it, but I know my Xbox had issues trying to go through it and I had to hook it up directly to my router.
    Run the PKTTOOL program in listen mode - do you receive any packets? If you never receive packets then you have a packet driver, hardware or configuration problem.

If you do receive packets you can try assigning a static IP address to your machine to determine if it is a DHCP problem or not. But I rarely get a report of DHCP not working for somebody.