Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from the 68K land

Default Hello from the 68K land

Hello, I'm a retired hardware engineering who'd worked on embedded 680x0 products during the 80's and 90's. I want to revisit the 680x0 in my retirement and expand my knowledge to the desktop environments. --Bill

Welcome. Lots of interest in 68K systems around here (68K Macs and Amigas, classic Palms, Sun-3, you name it).
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Are there much interests in homebrew 680x0 computer?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmo View Post
    Are there much interests in homebrew 680x0 computer?
    There is of course. Radio Electronics used to feature a couple of 68k homebrewed units. For instance. My advice though is to select one particular 68k machine and build onto that. I used to have an Apollo 68030 (IIRC) motherboard, which I sold like a fool. It was an extremely simple design, no asics IIRC. It's sort of obscure though. I like Atari and early color Macs (II, IIX, IIFX). I'm staying away from Amigas, how thin can you spread yourself. I certainly don't hate them. But at least the Ataris had 400 lines of resolution in monochrome. The Mac IIs had that and more. But it's not a fair comparison, as the Atari STs were contemporaneous with early compact Macs. The Atari Coldfire project is interesting. If I had the skills of a hardware engineer, I'd personally love to contribute to something like that.

I have this attraction to the Sega Genesis system, I guess ever since I opened one up (I've had several, never seem to be able to hold onto some things). It has a 68k of course. The problem is it has asics. Bad bad, very bad. No way of fixing such a unit once it craps the bed.
    Last edited by 2icebitn; December 4th, 2017 at 03:02 AM.

Yeah, definitely interested in homebrew or embedded stuff as well (I actually have a nice little Coldfire development board I need to do more with...)
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

The Canon Cat was a 68K.
    Dwight

Thanks you all for commenting. I wasn't sure whether a homebrew 680x0 is considered "vintage computer" since it is obviously made recently. As a hardware engineer, design, fabricate, test new computers were my regular job. The hard part is keeping the cost down and find useful free software to run on it.
    I'm in the process of redesigning Tiny68K, a low-cost (somewhat) 68000 SBC with 16meg memory. I want to design a bare-bone $10 68000 computer, but I wound up offer it as a CP/M68K-ready kit for $20.
    https://www.retrobrewcomputers.org/d...ds:sbc:tiny68k

That Tiny68K 68000 SBC looks pretty cool. I might be interested in something like that.

Is there any room left in the EPM7128 to implement a periodic timer interrupt? Just wondering about maybe running some sort of small preemptive multi-threaded OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    The Canon Cat was a 68K.
    Dwight
    That, too!

Mine's still working great. I need to do more with it.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    That Tiny68K 68000 SBC looks pretty cool. I might be interested in something like that.

Is there any room left in the EPM7128 to implement a periodic timer interrupt? Just wondering about maybe running some sort of small preemptive multi-threaded OS.
    The 68681 Dual UART already has a 16-bit timer. I program it to generate 100Hz interrupts in the bootstrap monitor.

Part of the redesign was to add a real time clock. CP/M 68K v1.3 does not need time of day, but other OS do. I stumbled across the 16meg memory because it is cheap and a good fit for 68000 but it does open the door for multitasking OS.