Image Map Image Map

Thread: Apple IIgs

Default Apple IIgs

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I just purchased an Apple IIgs to play around with. I had one as a kid. It is the ROM1 with a 256kb memory card installed. I wanted to get advice on what other upgrade cards i should get for it. More than likely I will be using it for vintage gaming but would like to setup an interesting computer. I guess just for the heck of it lol.

I could also use some advice on what operating system i should be using. I see there is the Apple IIgs System 6.0.1 disks available. I don't recall how the operating system was maintained, etc but will figure that out as I go.

I was also looking at the external CF card read that is available. Would you recommend that or the internal one that is being offered.

It has been a long time since i played with one of these so please forgive my ignorance lol.

IMG_6236.jpg

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

Hello, welcome to the forum! I'm not sure what you mean by "the internal one that is being offered", but, the CFFA3000 is the community favorite. I have a ReactiveMicro card that while it has less features I'm happy with it.

For now you can boot an OS with just a floppy disk - I used System 3, it was fine for looking at and running IIGS programs but I don't know if System 6 boots from disk. System 6.0.4 is a nice OS, I have that installed on my CF card.

That amount of RAM is good enough for many apps and games, I know many RAM cards are out there and depending on what you want to do that'll make the biggest difference. I can't say cause my RAM card is a Sirius IIGS that does not work.

Definitely get a 4MB RAM card. This is the one I have:

https://gglabs.us/node/1935

You'll also want either a FloppyEmu, CFFA3000, or something similar.

4. Default

if you don't care about modern solutions, and it's your only apple II system, get a ADB-to-serial cable and a copy of ADTpro. I dont have any sort of emulator or CF solution and run all my programs off 3.5" floppy discs, made off images found online.

I don't fully understand the idea of using an old system, and then bypassing half the experience with modern storage solutions. Also if you make physical copies of the disks that take slightly more time, you're less likely to give a game 3 seconds of your time, write it off, and move onto the next program. Just my personal experience, but this is obviously way more time consuming than dealing with easy storage solutions, so it's up to how much time you really want to dedicate to messing with your machines.

Also i've had a 100% success rate of using 1.44MB disks with the hole taped shut for making disks. Many people will recommend otherwise, but in this instance i have yet to have a single disk failure, whether writing or reading from any of my disks for my IIgs or my Atari ST.

Blog Entries

get a ADB-to-serial cable and a copy of ADTpro
    You mean, a USB to serial cable?

Following with the above comment, I also suggest that if you don't want to wait in line and pay a small fortune for a CFFA3000 you might have better luck finding an Applied Engineering Vulcan IDE card. They're pretty old at this point and they shipped with those godawful 8-bit IDE interfaced Western Digital drives but I've had success using one with a 32mb Compact Flash card. The Apple community seems to not like them because they are slow or something equally jaded. They often pop up for not too much money.
    = Excellent space heater