Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Options For Empty A2091 SCSI Hard Card

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    Along with the purchase of an Amiga 2500 came an A2091 hard card. ROMs are Version 7 but otherwise the board is bare: A stub for power and data and a place for a SCSI drive to be attached to the card; 16 empty sockets for RAM.

Apart from what I could learn in the Amiga Hardware Database I know nothing about this card so may I ask:

-Is it advisable to put a SCSI disk on the card or is it better to run a 50-pin cable to the chassis below the FDs?

-Is it advisable to populate the empty RAM sockets?

-Has anyone modified the board to install a 2x20 header and successfully run an IDE drive from the card? If so, how much is involved?

Thanks for your replies

-CH-

Pic:

Attachment 42311
    Some people use SCSI2SD Ver. 5 adapters for old computers, I have one in my NeXT Computer for this, another option is something like this, http://amigastore.eu/en/603-ide4-z2-amiga-2000.html and use a CF card and you even add a CDROM drive off it too.

Don't overlook the Amiga as the ultimate PC "tweener". It really is, in my opinion.

If I ever get round to putting together another A2000, that's what I'm going to build.

I know so little about the A2000 that I think it better to learn more before adding on to what's there already. The A500s I own, by comparison, are relatively closed systems. I have the trapdoor memory expansions, for example, and one has a Supra HD "sidecar" with 2 Mb memory on board. But most of the rest of the options / interfaces plug into a port of one sort or another. I never realized how many devices were available for the 2000. Simply amazing.

My first objective is to produce a functioning machine in a configuration that is period correct; a "sympathetic restoration" as it is sometimes called. The first task in reaching that objective is to get everything working and to work together as a system. I've spent a lot of time lately combing the internet for manuals and other documentation, sometimes with success and sometimes with laughable results.

Once in a while I find that "you can't get there from here." Or the only documentation I can find is in German. Or that my nifty super-whiz-bang component needs repair. Or that you can have A or B, but not A and B. If you walk around in the dark sooner or later you stumble.

But I've always been curious and I love to tinker and I'm learning. I'm grateful for the people who have offered suggestions and have shared their knowledge with me.

Thanks again,

-CH-

Quote Originally Posted by clh333 View Post
    I'm abandoning that line of inquiry as I will never want to use the Amiga as an IBM PC clone.
    Well, using an XTA drive won't make it an XT clone. The drive just operates as the hard drive for the Amiga, but there's not much reason to even try it except for raw curiosity. I have a fetish for mechanical hard drives, and I had collected a handful of old XTA drives. I just wanted to see if I could make it work.

There is a card called a Bridgeboard that will add a PC clone to the Amiga. Two computers in one case operating simultaneously. You can switch back and forth between the Amiga and the PC, or even install a display card for the PC side and it can have it's own monitor.

One of my 2000HDs is equipped with a A2088 bridgeboard and it does facilitate moving data between a PC and the Amiga, but transferring ADF files from my Win7 PC is the bulk of my needs, and my Gotek floppy emulator makes that very painless.

And a bridgeboard, hence making an Amiga fully PC, XT, or AT-clone compatible is very "period correct", and doesn't make it any less an Amiga. The Amiga still does everything it always did before, whilst doing the PC thing at the same time. You can run a very nice Mac emulation at the same time, if you like!

Just don't expect to run Video Toaster Switcher simultaneous. Lightwave, yes. The other Toaster software, no. You can put all that hardware into one A2000 and use it for all those purposes, just not simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post

Just don't expect to run Video Toaster Switcher simultaneous. Lightwave, yes. The other Toaster software, no. You can put all that hardware into one A2000 and use it for all those purposes, just not simultaneously.
    And therein lies a tale:

Back in the '90s I was proprietor of a commercial photography studio. I knew that the days of silver-based imaging were numbered and wanted to move into the new electronic technologies. Ultimately I was unsuccessful, but I did invest in some R&D. However the technology was changing rapidly at the time - still is, of course - and clients were unwilling to pay a premium for the new services. It became clear that it was not going to work and I abandoned the effort.

But I always had interest in the Video Toaster, although I had no direct experience with it. This excursion is an attempt to resurrect a machine that I can play with and learn about the Amiga 2000 / 2000HD / 2500 and the Toaster.

I have PCs of every stripe, from Z80 to multi-core multi GHz. I can transfer software back and forth between machines with several different media. The bridgeboard is a nifty invention but that's not where I'm headed, and I already have 8-bit ST-506 drives on the IBM XTs. That's where they will stay; SCSI for Amiga.

-CH-

7. Default

I had some success attaching my 2091 SCSI drive to a MACOS system using an Apple thunderbolt-to-firewire convertor->Belkin firewire to SCSI converter, then mounted the drive in WinUAE on a Parallels Win10 installation, which allowed me to plant the ClassicWB OS files onto the Amiga drive.

I'm still not satisfied with the 20Mb available on the likely soon-to-fail Amiga SCSI drive, so the SCSI2SD approach is appealing, I have one on a Mac Colour Classic, along with a microSD->SD convertor which allows me to mount the SD externally for easy transfer to a modern machine for upkeep.

Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Towmater View Post
    Apple thunderbolt-to-firewire convertor->Belkin firewire to SCSI converter, then mounted the drive in WinUAE on a Parallels Win10 installation, which allowed me to plant the ClassicWB OS files onto the Amiga drive.

SCSI2SD approach is appealing, I have one on a Mac Colour Classic, along with a microSD->SD convertor which allows me to mount the SD externally for easy transfer to a modern machine for upkeep.
    You are way beyond my understanding, however: Never seen thunderbolt technology, nor the Belkin firewire-toSCSI converter. Never used WinUAE (not fond of emulators but I do admit DOSBox comes in handy once in a while). Only familiar with what is possible with WB 1.3. Chugging along on Win7. Planning to install a GoTek FD but all in all I'm still figuring out the parameters of what's possible.

I obtained 2 Mb RAM for the 2091. My next issue will be to mate it with a SCSI drive, then to install it and finally to get it to boot. This raises some questions:

Is there a maximum size drive that can be used? I assume this interface is SCSI I, but is it? What install utility can be used (the ones on the Amiga Hardware Database - http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/a2091)? If I want to use the controller's external port, for a ZIP disk, as an example, then my internal HD needs to be terminated and the controller's on-board termination needs to be disabled and an external terminator added to the external port when nothing else is attached to it. Any idea which of the jumper headers control this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-CH-

I don't think there are jumpers for termination. There's a resistor pack to pull.

It's SCSI II. 2Tb is the largest drive you can use, as far as I know. I've never had anything that big to try.

I highly recommend PFS3.

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UDX View Post
    I highly recommend PFS3.
    This source or another version? http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/pfs3aio

Thx,

-CH-