Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matrox Millenium II Graphics Card Issues

Blog Entries

Default Matrox Millenium II Graphics Card Issues

Have a Matrox Millenium II PCI Card I am hoping to save somehow as I really like the card...

When posting, the text is red...readable and normal, but red....then when WIndows loads its all out of whack colors on the splash screen.....

Anything I can do to try and fix the card? Card is clean and all the chips and contacts look good from what I can see.....

Thanks!!
    "In Life, The Days Are Long But The Years Are Short..."

The first thing I would do is try a different graphics card. If you still have color issues maybe something is up with your monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by TravisHuckins View Post
    The first thing I would do is try a different graphics card. If you still have color issues maybe something is up with your monitor.
    ...and definitely another VGA cable

Blog Entries

Its neither of those, I have had other graphics cards in the PC that ran fine in terms of colors. Its just this one doing it.

I would check the caps, I believe these are tantalums (I have the same card) which can fail as a short, potentially causing one of the color channels to blank out.
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Blog Entries

Outside checking for bulges in the caps or leaks, is there a good way to test a cap when its in the board?

Also, what about heating the board up, the old oven / heat gun trick?

Well a tantalum can fail full short, so I would check that first, use a multimeter in ohms mode across the cap to see if it reads 0 ohms consistently (a functioning capacitor can read 0 temporarily on some multimeters). Testing capacitance in circuit is harder to do without specialized equipment.

I would be super careful about trying the board in the oven as you might cause more harm than good. I would first go through the analog section of the board and test for continuity before trying that, this sounds like an analog issue.

Corrosion on traces can cause similar problems too.
    Currently working on new DOS game, Chuck Jones: Space Cop of the Future, Check out my Dev Blog. WARNING: contains rocket powered El Caminos

Vintage Computers:
    Unitron Apple II clone, 2x Commodore Vic-20, Commodore 64, Commodore 128, Amiga 500, Macintosh Plus, Macintosh SE, AST Premium 286, 3 386sx PCs, Atari TT030

Quote Originally Posted by PgrAm View Post
    Well a tantalum can fail full short, so I would check that first..
    Generally, when a cap is short it will cause the PSU to switch off.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Generally, when a cap is short it will cause the PSU to switch off.
    When the cap is across the power rails, yes. This isn't always the case and still worth checking.

Vintage Computers:

Blog Entries

There are no barrel style caps on this card.....its a lot of surface mount small chips and then processor / Video / RAM chips and a couple other chips of varying size...All surface mount.

Here is a shot from the web of the card:

http://gcm.digitalenjoy.com/Matrox_M...II_4MB_PCI.php