Image Map Image Map

Thread: CMI 6424-S hard drive terrible engine sound

Default CMI 6424-S hard drive terrible engine sound

Hello i bought this pretty rare hard drive, it works relatively good, there are no bad sectors, but problem is hard drive engine, sounds terrible.
    It is something what i can do with it or it is final condition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzx...ature=youtu.be
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5154 monitor, IBM EGA card, IBM VGA card, IBM PC screws, IBM 5100, IBM 5110, IBM 5520, IBM 5120, IBM Displaywriter, IBM system/23 Datamaster.
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Sounds kinda normal for a FH MFM.

I've got some that sound much louder/worse.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. -- Leonard Cohen
    ☞ Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Blog Entries

Probably the bearings are running dry, but this doesn't sound any worse than some of the old drives when they were new.

Try running the drive upside-down for a few days to redistribute what's left of the bearing lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Sounds kinda normal for a FH MFM.

I've got some that sound much louder/worse.
    definitely not, i have lot of FH MFM drives, ST-412, ST-4026, 4037, 4038, IBM type 13... you dont hear that high scratch tones on cca 0.25s?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Probably the bearings are running dry, but this doesn't sound any worse than some of the old drives when they were new.

Try running the drive upside-down for a few days to redistribute what's left of the bearing lube.
    Is there some way to lubricate those bearings?
    IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155:
    WANTED! : IBM 5161 Expansion unit, IBM 5154 monitor, IBM EGA card, IBM VGA card, IBM PC screws, IBM 5100, IBM 5110, IBM 5520, IBM 5120, IBM Displaywriter, IBM system/23 Datamaster.
    My IBM PC hardware collection

Blog Entries

Not really--the bearings are installed pre-lubricated. Any lubrication you might be able to add stands a chance of contaminating the medium.

Drives that old are very tough. You COULD try opening the drive (although personally I don't recommend it), and adding more lubrication. I've seen people open drives that size with no problems. It's like the drive surfaces made in those days needed to be about as clean as a modern CD in order to work properly. (Unlike the drives today that are so sensitive that simply opening them may do them in.)

Quote Originally Posted by romanon View Post
    you dont hear that high scratch tones on cca 0.25s?
    Barely...

Maybe you are overreacting.
    If you're looking for DS/DD or DS/HD 3" or 5" floppy disks, PM me. I've got some new, used, and factory over-labeled disks for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Squared View Post
    You COULD try opening the drive (although personally I don't recommend it)
    Hey, you've managed to juxtapose a really bad idea and a really good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Hey, you've managed to juxtapose a really bad idea and a really good idea.
    Well, in my opinion, it's true. I've seen twice where someone has opened a physically-very-large-sized drive with a small data capacity (in the 5MB to 20 MB range.) to free the bearings or a R/W head under stiction. As far as I'm concerned, the drives are not only much tougher, but the equipment is less sensitive to airborne contaminants due to the size of the heads and the density of data on the platters.

Someone's example of freeing the bearings on a Seagate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur1hg0SUEWA
    BBISHOPPCM's repair on another hard drive for an IBM PS/2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCH_HjY9WM
    Last edited by T-Squared; December 6th, 2017 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries

Yes, but how about a YT video of someone lubricating the bearings in a 5.25" hard drive? It's pretty difficult as those bearings tend to be shielded types.