Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $2 Find: Macintosh IIci w/ Carrera040 Card

Default $2 Find: Macintosh IIci w/ Carrera040 Card

I picked this system up just recently from an e-waste facility for literally pennies. I know nothing about Macs (I've always been a PC guy), but it was too vintage and in too good of physical condition to just let it go to scrap. Getting it home, I found it was almost immaculately clean inside, with almost no dust or anything.

I have no way to test it but I do know the PSU works, but the HDD sounds dead when firing it up. Its a very clean system physically, so I figure the chances are high that it does still work, beyond the HDD.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can test this further? Short of buying adapters or original Mac keyboard/monitor, that is. I really just want to see this go to someone who will keep it out of the scrap heap, but I'd like to be able to tell people a bit more about its condition. I also know very little about this Carrera040 card, beyond the fact that one (with an additional daughter board) sold on ebay for $180.

Very neat find. Many vendors made cpu cards, you could plug a PPC into a Mac II. I tend to draw the line at the IIfx. Though I ain't got one yet. The IIci looks like a IIcx externally if I remember correctly, but was different somehow. Can't remember. Maybe I should look it up.

You should here a chime when powering up

Blog Entries

ADB keyboards and mice should be easy and cheap to find in CA. The IIci has built in video and you will need a cheap adapter to connect it to a VGA monitor or LCD.
    Looks like there are 4x16MB SIMMs in there also.

Systems of that age seem to have capacitor rot on the motherboard (easy enough to fix).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    The IIci has built in video and you will need a cheap adapter to connect it to a VGA monitor or LCD.
    the ci does not support vga scan rates

Blog Entries

640x480 8 bit. You might have issues with an LCD and scan rates but an old CRT should work.

Looks like there are 4x16MB SIMMs in there also.
    and 4x4MB SIMMS, so 80MB RAM total.

I also notice these look at least physically identical to PC RAM from this period. Are they interchangeable?

Blog Entries

Apple RAM tended to not have parity chips (so 8 chips instead of 9 on a 30 pin SIMM so cheaper to make), PC's needed parity. So you can use PC memory on a mac but Mac specific memory might cause problems on a PC.

Blog Entries

You will need to do a recap. I've heard stories that the strangely packaged SMD ones on that era of Quantum drives like to go bad but I can clearly see the ones on the logic board are leaking, plus the power supply is known for needing new caps as well.
    = Excellent space heater

640x480 8 bit. You might have issues with an LCD and scan rates but an old CRT should work.
    Yep. My IIci NetBSD server is connected to an old school NEC multisync CRT.

And yes, recap it. Almost every '030 Mac I run across nowadays has blown caps.
    I use my C128 because I am an ornery, stubborn, retro grouch. -- Bob Masse
    Machine room: http://www.floodgap.com/etc/machines.html

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    the ci does not support vga scan rates
    Native Mac 640x480 has a hsync of 35khz. VGA is 31.5. Likely close enough that a twist of a trimpot on any VGA monitor would make it symc up.