Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Project: Micro 8088 - Chipset-based 8088 XT compatible processor board

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    It's surprising how few POACH designs ever succeeded in the marketplace (e.g. C&T's F8680 or the ZF MIcro ZFX86). I wonder if the ultra-small PC is less sensitive to processor architecture and ARM-based designs are perfectly fine for the tiny PC market. I don't think Intel's Edison ever got anywhere either.
    I looked at making a 286 SBC like sergeys boards using C&T's F8680 or the C&T SCAT chipset, but they are going for like 30+ for one chip which is a bit much...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    25,254
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Well, I never figured them to be common. In a a decade they'll probably be even dearer.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    I looked at making a 286 SBC like sergeys boards using C&T's F8680 or the C&T SCAT chipset, but they are going for like 30+ for one chip which is a bit much...
    I always felt like 286 is a dead end processor. There is 386SX, which is just as good as 286, only much better I've seen a plenty of chipset based 386SX motherboards. It is possible some of these chipset are still available...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    I always felt like 286 is a dead end processor. There is 386SX, which is just as good as 286, only much better I've seen a plenty of chipset based 386SX motherboards. It is possible some of these chipset are still available...
    A 386SX kit computer would be pretty neat. I don't think I've ever seen a loose CPU on ebay though...

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    A 386SX kit computer would be pretty neat. I don't think I've ever seen a loose CPU on ebay though...
    loads. hit ebay for '386 qfp'

    as a note, C&T had a chipset that I think was F82c836 was their 386sx chipset and F82c235 was their 286 chipset, from memory they were pretty much drop in compatible (since it was an SX only chipset, retained a 16bit isa bus). Teknor AT1 (286) and AT2 (386sx) were nearly identical designs, save for the chipset. I dont have a datasheet for the F82C836 chipset tho (I have one for the 235 chipset) to say with 100% accuracy.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyCactus View Post
    loads. hit ebay for '386 qfp'
    Aren't those all DX chips though? I don't see any SX chips there.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Aren't those all DX chips though? I don't see any SX chips there.
    It would appear most are dx. here is an sx.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/111603310298

    10 pieces for 24$. amd sx 16mhz
    https://www.ebay.com/itm//160930346894


    Ive seen tubes of them come and go.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    If someone where going the QFP route, how about using an 80386EX ?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/302240312198

    Do all of the integrated controllers in those have AT compatible modes?

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gslick View Post
    If someone where going the QFP route, how about using an 80386EX ?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/302240312198

    Do all of the integrated controllers in those have AT compatible modes?

    If I remember correctly, 80386EX integrates some AT-compatible controllers (timer, interrupt controller). But for example DMA is not quite AT compatible, there is no keyboard controller, or RTC either. Also the 386EX by itself does not provide ISA bus interfacing, and some additional logic is needed.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Forest, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    637

    Default

    And speaking of PC-on-a-chip, M6117C M6117D chips look interesting. (Of course if you're willing to solder 208-pin PQFP package with 0.5 mm lead pitch... But I know you are... because you've already soldered that TVGA9000i IC on my SVGA board).

    M6117 integrates a 386SX core, which apparently can run on up to 40 MHz speed, the whole AT chipset, and in case of M6117D, apparently chip selects for IDE, and some other goodies. All that for less than $20... Looks like a good deal

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •