Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Project: Micro 8088 - Chipset-based 8088 XT compatible processor board

A little good news. I replaced my Malinov floppy controller IC and it's working fine now.

I'm also able to boot with the xt-ide card installed, although it's still behaving oddly, FDISK fails to create a partition, won't boot, etc.

Ultima IV has been running for several hours with no issues with the CF card installed, so my previous issues seem to be resolved...

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    A little good news. I replaced my Malinov floppy controller IC and it's working fine now.

I'm also able to boot with the xt-ide card installed, although it's still behaving oddly, FDISK fails to create a partition, won't boot, etc.

Ultima IV has been running for several hours with no issues with the CF card installed, so my previous issues seem to be resolved...
    Good to hear that you've fixed the floppy controller.

Regarding XT-IDE - are you using the BIOS extension on the XT-IDE card, or the BIOS image with the integrated XT-CF-Lite / Universal IDE BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    Good to hear that you've fixed the floppy controller.

Regarding XT-IDE - are you using the BIOS extension on the XT-IDE card, or the BIOS image with the integrated XT-CF-Lite / Universal IDE BIOS?
    Appears to be with either. I'm building a glitchworks XT-IDEv4 board and using a physical IDE device (or a disk-on-module) as soon as the board arrives.

Appears to be with either. I'm building a glitchworks XT-IDEv4 board and using a physical IDE device (or a disk-on-module) as soon as the board arrives.
    Card has been rock-solid with plenty of ISA cards installed. Really pleased with this so far. I'll be setting up networking and printing this weekend, and enabling/configuring upper memory blocks and a full autoexec/config.sys setup. Still booting from floppy for now, but that's pretty typical for an XT.

Sergey, if a video card is generating an IOCHECK NMI, would it be possible for the "ignore" prompt to actually ignore further NMI warnings? I'd like to get VGA back in this thing but that's the only working card I have right now.
    Last edited by keenerb; December 19th, 2017 at 08:53 AM.

Sergey, if a video card is generating an IOCHECK NMI, would it be possible for the "ignore" prompt to actually ignore further NMI warnings? I'd like to get VGA back in this thing but that's the only working card I have right now.
    I can add a key option to disable NMIs (say pressing "d" would do that).

Quote Originally Posted by sergey View Post
    I can add a key option to disable NMIs (say pressing "d" would do that).
    Is that even desirable? Does IOCHK NMI mean some sort of serious issue?

Is that even desirable? Does IOCHK NMI mean some sort of serious issue?
    The NMI will be enabled by default. But the BIOS NMI handler will allow disabling it.

What IOCHK NMI means really depends on the cards you have in the system. I think originally it was implemented to report memory parity errors on memory extension cards, then it was used by EGA/VGA, supposedly to enable emulation of CGA/Hercules particularly when a register not implemented in EGA/VGA is being accessed (I guess some kind of TSR driver has to be loaded to enable this functionality)...

Hi keenerb, not sure if you are still looking at this thread since it's been over a year since the last posts, but I had a question for you. I just built the Micro 8088 as well and it's booting up and I see it passing the RAM tests via a Trident TVGA8900CL VGA card, but I don't ever see it detect the Glitchworks XT-IDE Rev 4 drive. I'm using the latest Micro 8088 BIOS, but I'm a little unsure about what version of the XT-IDE Rev 4 BIOS I need to work with the Micro 8088, as well as whether I needed to change any of the jumpers from the default recommended at http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/re...%20general.htm . Did you have to do anything special to get it working? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwtcu View Post
    Hi keenerb, not sure if you are still looking at this thread since it's been over a year since the last posts, but I had a question for you. I just built the Micro 8088 as well and it's booting up and I see it passing the RAM tests via a Trident TVGA8900CL VGA card, but I don't ever see it detect the Glitchworks XT-IDE Rev 4 drive. I'm using the latest Micro 8088 BIOS, but I'm a little unsure about what version of the XT-IDE Rev 4 BIOS I need to work with the Micro 8088, as well as whether I needed to change any of the jumpers from the default recommended at http://minuszerodegrees.net/xtide/re...%20general.htm . Did you have to do anything special to get it working? Thanks in advance.
    Success!!! I finally got the Micro 8088 with BIOS rev 0.95 booting to MSDOS 5.0 on my M-Systems 128MB DOM. I had to configure the R580 XUB on the XTIDE Rev 4 card with the following changes:-
    1) Rev 2 or modified Rev 1 XTIDE
    2) 1x Floppy (even though I don't have one)
    3) Normal instead of auto CHS

I do still have an issue I'm trying to debug. When I have both SRAMs populated in their respective sockets at U5 and U6, I can't get the Micro 8088 to boot to MS-DOS 5.0 even though it passes all 640K of the RAM test. It will detect the DOM, start "Booting to C", and then get stuck there. However, if I depopulate specifically U6, the Micro 8088 boots to MS-DOS completely with no issues and I am able to play a childhood favorite (Digger) just fine. I have swapped the U5 and U6 parts and confirmed that as long as either SRAM part is installed at U6, I will see this issue, so it's at least not the SRAM parts themselves that are bad.

I have built 2 XTIDE cards with separate DOMs and both have the same behavior and I'm leaning towards a Micro 8088 build or component issue at this point. I've looked over the solder joints especially around the U6 socket and will be doing connectivity test to double check. I'm also waiting on 74F00 parts to come in from China to see if it might be an SPLD issue since I'm using a Lattice GAL16V8 as opposed to an Atmel part, but I'd appreciate suggestions on what else I should try. Thanks in advance!

bmwtcu

Quote Originally Posted by bmwtcu View Post
    I'm also waiting on 74F00 parts to come in from China to see if it might be an SPLD issue since I'm using a Lattice GAL16V8 as opposed to an Atmel part, but I'd appreciate suggestions on what else I should try. Thanks in advance!
    You should install either the SPLD/GAL or 74F00... Not both together. It is described in the Bill of Materials and Building Instructions. I've also added a note on the silkscreen of the latest PCB revision (v1.3).