Image Map Image Map
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Project: Micro 8088 - Chipset-based 8088 XT compatible processor board

Hello everyone, unfortunately the FE2010A is currently very poor available. I have the option to buy a "WDC FE2010A-JU"... Will it be the same like the original Fairchild FE2010A? In particular the "-JU" confuses me

Quote Originally Posted by CrazySheriff View Post
    Hello everyone, unfortunately the FE2010A is currently very poor available. I have the option to buy a "WDC FE2010A-JU"... Will it be the same like the original Fairchild FE2010A? In particular the "-JU" confuses me
    I haven't found any information about this one, but "9127" suggests it's perhaps a later model than the Faraday branded ones? My Faraday branded ones say "8625", but I'm not sure if that's a date code.

There is one person online that has built a Micro 8088 with the "JU" one in his photo. I haven't checked to see if it works but I assume it does.
    https://www.assembly.site/micro8088.php
    Monotech PCs - brand new Vintage computer parts and accessories - Click here!
    EternalCRT: MDA/CGA/EGA>VGA Converter, XT-IDE, XT-CF-Mini, AdLib, DeluxeFloppy, PS/2>XT Keyboard Converter, XT-SVGA, NuXT, XT-MegaIO

Thank you very much! That is the information I needed

Western Digital bought Faraday, didn't they?

I would take a gamble on that chip, I bet it works fine.

On an unrelated note, I'm finally getting around to unpacking all my projects since I moved to a new house. Hope to get back to my micro8088 real soon now.

Quote Originally Posted by keenerb View Post
    Western Digital bought Faraday, didn't they?

I would take a gamble on that chip, I bet it works fine.

On an unrelated note, I'm finally getting around to unpacking all my projects since I moved to a new house. Hope to get back to my micro8088 real soon now.
    They did in July 20 1987.

Googling gives me four different looking FE2010A chips.

One of them is the one marked FE2010A-JU above. I suspect that's a later model after the WD acquisition. "J" possibly being related to the J-leads of the PLCC package. Modern chips often have J in the model number for PLCC.
    "9127" is probably 27th week 1991.

The other three have the Faraday branding. Some have a likely date code, such as the following "8806":
    afcf6080b3e054bb8eec39bac46281ec.jpg

Some have a random looking number between JAPAN and delta symbol.
    Such as the one in Sergey's board: https://github.com/skiselev/micro_80..._Board-1.1.jpg
    Sergey's says 7Z10. My own chips say 073012 here.

Then these on Google images from an expired eBay listing, which say "Faraday '88", and have what looks to be a 1990 date code.
    s-l225.jpg

So perhaps the FE2010A-JU chips are the last manufactured ones, in 1991.

I have some of these on the way, and will update. I have little doubt they'll work.

I've tested Micro 8088 with WDC FE2010A-JU. It works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by nztdm View Post
    They did in July 20 1987.

Googling gives me four different looking FE2010A chips.

One of them is the one marked FE2010A-JU above. I suspect that's a later model after the WD acquisition. "J" possibly being related to the J-leads of the PLCC package. Modern chips often have J in the model number for PLCC.
    "9127" is probably 27th week 1991.

The other three have the Faraday branding. Some have a likely date code, such as the following "8806":
    afcf6080b3e054bb8eec39bac46281ec.jpg

Some have a random looking number between JAPAN and delta symbol.
    Such as the one in Sergey's board: https://github.com/skiselev/micro_80..._Board-1.1.jpg
    Sergey's says 7Z10. My own chips say 073012 here.

Then these on Google images from an expired eBay listing, which say "Faraday '88", and have what looks to be a 1990 date code.
    s-l225.jpg

So perhaps the FE2010A-JU chips are the last manufactured ones, in 1991.

I have some of these on the way, and will update. I have little doubt they'll work.

I want to build one of these but I can't find the chip myself, might you divulge your source?

Quote Originally Posted by almoerman View Post
    I want to build one of these but I can't find the chip myself, might you divulge your source?
    I am also looking for more, as my two vendors are dried up; I don't have many.
    PM me if you'd like to buy one.
    EternalCRT: MDA/CGA/EGA>VGA Converter, XT-IDE, XT-CF-Mini, AdLib, DeluxeFloppy, PS/2>XT Keyboard Converter, XT-SVGA, NuXT, XT-MegaIO

Hi!

I have a Micro8088 assembled and everything works fine. However, the CheckIt program gives an error on DMA channel 0. Tested with 74HC573 chips and also with 74F573. Does anyone know what the cause may be? and if it has any more involvement in the performance of the system other than the failure reported by the checkIt program?

Quote Originally Posted by spark2k06 View Post
    Hi!

I have a Micro8088 assembled and everything works fine. However, the CheckIt program gives an error on DMA channel 0. Tested with 74HC573 chips and also with 74F573. Does anyone know what the cause may be? and if it has any more involvement in the performance of the system other than the failure reported by the checkIt program?
    That is normal, and related to not using DRAM. You can ignore it