Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NeXT Cube OS boot/questions

Blog Entries

NeXTAnswers 1295 - the directions above do not apply to my NeXT. There is no etc/netinfo directory in particular. I made the equiv changes anyway by comparing with my working NextWorkstation, they're in synch. My Netstation is networked. I believe my issue with my NextCube (N1000) is either a physical hard drive issue or a corruption in the OS build. I need to attach an external SCSI drive and re-install the OS from CD, or load diagnostics to rebuild/repair.
    Last edited by billdeg; December 8th, 2017 at 07:42 AM.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

If your slab is working, hook up the Cube drive externally and use BuildDisk. You'll get a bootable drive with a clean install. Very slick.

Blog Entries

I can try that. Put the drive in an external bay and attach through the external SCSI port I assume. I just went through the process of networking a Workstation Turbo just now to be sure I was not insane. The Cube appears to have a different OS slightly or things are in a different place. (possible?)... I assume I would be upgrading the OS too by attaching the drive to a Workstation Turbo slab.

I am going to try some more things first just to keep the original OS as it was, if I can.

I have four types of NeXT computer. I had been using my color workstation, leaving the other three on the shelf. Only recently have I taken to the other three to work on them, get them networked in my home network. Kind of cool to have them all running together.
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio