Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NeXT Cube OS boot/questions

Blog Entries

Default NeXT Cube OS boot/questions

At first my Next Cube was more or less working ok, but the hard drive is starting to fail. I am trying to bring it back enough to perhaps re-install over what corruption is there. Currently when I boot my system hangs on this step, I have to CONTROL+C to move on, advice how to fix?

I can boot into single user mode.
    When I boot into multi-user mode I get to the GUI but it boots into the "me" user, and it's only partially functional, I can't do much. For example I can't run commands from the terminal shell, I don't have access to the file mgt ap to view and open files from the GUI. How do I force the system to boot into root instead, from single-user mode ( # )? There may be permission issues with the me user. I did not create this user.

I don't believe my optical drive works.

Bill
    @ BillDeg:
    Web: vintagecomputer.net
    Twitter: @billdeg
    Youtube: @billdeg
    Unauthorized Bio

Blog Entries

I was able to make some progress by setting a password for the "me" user. I logged into single user mode and then logged into "me", which had no password. I set a password. Doing all this forced the system as require a login upon booting into the NeXT GUI, and at which point I logged in as root instead of me.
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

next time you get in the situation where a user is automatically logged in, holding down one (or both? I forget) mouse buttons when you log out will prevent automatic re-login and bring up the login panel.

You'll want to reconfigure netinfo or lots of things will give you trouble.

Blog Entries

thanks. I can't get into file manager when logged in as root, and logged in as "me" the file manager shows but I can't do anything, just a spinning wheel cursor.

I agree I need to run netinfo, but I can't get into it yet, at least from the GUI. Working on it.
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

If you're in that deep, the best thing to do is boot single-user and reset it to factory:

NeXTAnswers 1295:

Q: How do I restore a system to the default NetInfo set-up?

A: You need to do three things: obtain a default NetInfo database, an
    original hostconfig file, and an original hosts file.

Single-User boot :

csh
    cd /etc/netinfo
    foreach db (*.nidb)
    mv ${db} ${db}-old
    end
    cp -rp /usr/template/client/etc/netinfo/local.nidb .
    cd ..
    mv hostconfig hostconfig.old
    mv hosts hosts.old
    cp -p /usr/template/client/etc/hostconfig .
    cp -p /usr/template/client/etc/hosts .
    halt
    DISCONNECT THE COMPUTER FROM THE NETWORK
    REBOOT

Run SimpleNetworkStarter.app to build the network.
    There's no reason this should require csh. The normal Bourne shell has for loop that would serve just as well.

Blog Entries

I did these things kind of haphazardly before but I think my nidb is the issue. That would explain some of the messages I have seen.

Bill
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

Blog Entries

oh and is it possible to run an app from the command line? I keep getting access denied even while logged in as root.
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio

Blog Entries

Currently when I boot my system hangs on this step, I have to CONTROL+C to move on, advice how to fix?
    There's a network process waiting for the link to come up. Typically I've just ignored it or plugged in a network cable to shut it up. As you already noticed you can use CTRL + C to skip it.

I don't believe my optical drive works.
    Unless you have recapped it I suggest completely unplugging the MO drive from the machine, both for the sake of several diodes on the motor circuit which have been known to blow before a recap and because with the drive having every single cap out of spec it has been known to cause erratic machine behaviour like waiting for drives that are already idling or completely crashing NeXTSTEP.
    = Excellent space heater

Depending on how netinfo was configured, it could very well be looking for root authorization from netinfo. You need to completely follow the process from NextAnswers to get the local netinfo back to defaults and the (missing) network netinfo server out of the equation.

Once the system is out of single user, the local flat files are not used. Netinfo overrides them. The admin tools modify the netinfo databases, whether that's a standalone, local database, or a shared one on a remote server.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    There's a network process waiting for the link to come up. Typically I've just ignored it or plugged in a network cable to shut it up. As you already noticed you can use CTRL + C to skip it.

Unless you have recapped it I suggest completely unplugging the MO drive from the machine, both for the sake of several diodes on the motor circuit which have been known to blow before a recap and because with the drive having every single cap out of spec it has been known to cause erratic machine behaviour like waiting for drives that are already idling or completely crashing NeXTSTEP.
    I removed it before my original post. In fact entire system is out of the chassis so I can swap parts, etc. I have an external fan on it.
    @ BillDeg:
    Unauthorized Bio