Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tandy 102 black screen.

Default Tandy 102 black screen.

Hello again. I just got my new Tandy 102 in the mail. The big problem comes when I insert fresh batteries. When I turn it on, all that appears is a dim black screen. I try to adjust the disp knob, but it just make the black screen lighter and darker. Anyone know what's going on?

Maybe batteries in backwards??? Think I had something similar with my M100 when I had the polarity reversed by accident.

I've checked them a thousand times. They're in the right way. I'll try putting them in reverse and see if that works. I have nothing to lose!

Update. I put in some dead batteries, and the low battery light went on, which I guess means that portion is working. Any other ideas?

Hmm, LCD cable is loose inside? Or worse, LCD bias circuits are messed up. They are not hard to take apart and make sure the cables are well seated. And, if the batteries are in there right, I don't think I would flip them around. One other time I got that because my power supply voltage was a tad high. Doesn't sound likely if you are using batteries.

Blog Entries

Your internal (3v. lithium) backup battery has gone dead. Leave it plugged in and turned off for a few hours to see if it has the ability to be recharged, else, it'll need replacing. (If it's charging from your AAs, it can drain them). After a while, hit the 'reset' button on the back. Oh yeah, be sure the Backup Power switch on the bottom is set to ON, else it won't charge the internal battery.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

That makes sense. Is the memory battery easily replaced? Is it like one of those watch batteries or what? I'll leave those fresh batteries in it overnight, since I don't have an AC adapter. I'll check on it tomorrow morning, and see if it works. Thanks for your help so far.

Blog Entries

The internal battery is soldered-in, but a fairly simple swap. You can use nipper to snip off the posts to make the job easier. AFAIK, RadioShack still sells the replacements.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

One more thing. Does this mean that all of the built-in programs are wiped out? I think I read this somewhere, but didn't think it was true.

No wayyyyy! They are all in ROMs! They don't go anywhere.