Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kryoflux folks looking for hard sectored disks

Default Kryoflux folks looking for hard sectored disks

Just thought I would kick this over here - the Kryoflux folks are looking for some samples of hard- sectored disks. Currently hard sectored disks are not supported by the Kryoflux, and apparently they are looking to add some level of support.

https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1354

(I'm not affiliated with them, I just post on the forum too much )

Someone also brought it to their attention recently that for a brief time when hard sectored disks were going out of style, some vendors dumped excess stock on Apple II users since the Apple II doesn't care about index holes at all. I wonder how a hard sectored disk would even behave in a 1.2mb drive, since the kryoflux requires a 1.2mb drives to image Apple II disks?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    ...I wonder how a hard sectored disk would even behave in a 1.2mb drive, since the kryoflux requires a 1.2mb drives to image Apple II disks?
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as the tracks line up; some drives using HS disks (Micropolis) were 100 TPI vs the 'normal' 48 or 96 TPI. Note that hard sector diskettes come in 10 and 16 sector versions.

I also picked up a bunch of HS diskettes when they were going out of style to use in my Commodore PETs which, like Apple, also don't use/have index sensors. I was glad I did when I picked up some Vector Graphic systems using HS disks which have become pretty scarce in the meantime; copied the PET disks to normal DS/DD disks and reused the HS disks in the Vector and they work fine both in the VG's Micropolis drives and also in 1.2M HD drives.

Blog Entries

Not to forget 8" HS disks--32 sectors.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem as long as the tracks line up; some drives using HS disks (Micropolis) were 100 TPI vs the 'normal' 48 or 96 TPI. Note that hard sector diskettes come in 10 and 16 sector versions.

I also picked up a bunch of HS diskettes when they were going out of style to use in my Commodore PETs which, like Apple, also don't use/have index sensors. I was glad I did when I picked up some Vector Graphic systems using HS disks which have become pretty scarce in the meantime; copied the PET disks to normal DS/DD disks and reused the HS disks in the Vector and they work fine both in the VG's Micropolis drives and also in 1.2M HD drives.
    Hi Mike
    I still have some 16 sector punches left. I made a number of 10 sector and 16 sector punches a few years ago. I made too many of the 16 sector and have left overs.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    ....I still have some 16 sector punches left. I made a number of 10 sector and
    16 sector punches a few years ago. I made too many of the 16 sector and
    have left overs.
    Hello Dwight,

Could you please post some detailed pictures of your punches and
    how you use them?

Thanks

ziloo

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Not to forget 8" HS disks--32 sectors.
    Now reading those in a 1.2MB HD drive might be a bit of a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Hi Mike
    I still have some 16 sector punches left. I made a number of 10 sector and 16 sector punches a few years ago. I made too many of the 16 sector and have left overs.
    Dwight
    Hi Dwight,
    Thanks for the tip, but I think if I ever get serious about the VG and need more diskettes I'd probably look into one of the HS synthesizers instead.

m

Quote Originally Posted by ziloo View Post
    Hello Dwight,

Could you please post some detailed pictures of your punches and
    how you use them?

Thanks

ziloo
    Hi Ziloo
    Here is a picture. The two pieces clamp onto the center of the disk and are tightened with the wing nut. As you clamp it together, you slide the punch pin through the index hole of the disk to align it. You'd put a piece of blue tape on the floppy envelope as a marker. There would be marks on the punch top ( left ) that you could then use to align the disk envelope with to punch each hole.
    So, with the disk clamped in place, each location is punched and then you rotate the envelope to expose the next location to punch.
    These were made with delrin ( sp? ) in order to cut cost. My original design was to use two solid blocks.
    It works reasonably well but one tends to dull the end of the punch ( made from drill rod ). It needs periodic sharpening.
    It can cause a slight lift of the edge of a hole but I've found that not to be an issue if one smooths it down with the back of a finger nail.
    The H89 ( sebhc ) group just did a batch of solid steel ones but the cost was higher. As I recall, I sold mine for around $35 plus shipping. The ones they made were around $100 each.
    These were the same basic design but the alignment of the punch blocks are better giving better life to the punch pin.
    You can see one of the chad, above the pin and wing nut.
    Dwight
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dwight Elvey; December 12th, 2017 at 08:52 AM.

Thank you very much Dwight!! Very nice photo....
    With this arrangement, is the disk envelop fixed in place or the inner disk?
    Could you please include a couple more pictures that shows the process...

ziloo

Quote Originally Posted by ziloo View Post
    Thank you very much Dwight!! Very nice photo....
    With this arrangement, is the disk envelop fixed in place or the inner disk?
    Could you please include a couple more pictures that shows the process...

ziloo
    The center is just like that that is at the center of a floppy drive. It clamps the disk itself. The envelope is free to rotate. By putting a mark ( my example of using a piece of blue tape ) to locate when the index window on the envelope relative to the index of the punch that when clamped to the floppy, also is the position of the index.
    One can then rotate the envelope to move the index window to the next location to punch. The trick is to have the punch through the hole in the floppy when clamped.
    The picture I gave you is one that I made years ago. It would take me a while to dig up the stuff and make more pictures.
    If you look the the top part of the punch, you can see notches on the outside diameter. The mark you put on the envelope is rotated to each position to punch and then you punch it. The envelope is not punched, only the disk, because you move the envelope to expose the index window to the next location to punch.
    Dwight