Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reproduction Solid State Music IO-2 Boards

Default Reproduction Solid State Music IO-2 Boards

This has been a long term project, mostly due to the cost of scanning and being too busy with other things! I really like the SSM IO-2, which is a really super flexible I/O board for the S-100 bus. It's mostly prototype area, with just some address decode/chip select conditioning and two 8-bit I/O ports committed to copper. I've built a number of things from them, the first being my S-100 debug board:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2011/09/01/debug-board

I've got a few other IO-2 boards, most of them *heavily* used, with some lifted traces, extra holes drilled, etc. I did have one that was very early and almost pristine (only the stuff in the parallel I/O circuit populated). I decided to strip it down and send it in for scanning to Gerber files. I got the Gerbers back Monday, and processed them into formats that the board house wants:

I've got a run of 5 out at the board house I use for prototypes -- they can't do hard gold edge plating, it would be too expensive on a run of 5 anyway. I wanted to do a test run since I'm trying to sort of simulate the blue FR4 that SSM used on their boards. I ended up copying the top and bottom copper layers and tweaking them a bit to make a solder mask layer that fully exposes all of the copper on the board. I'm having them run in blue, so we'll see how it looks! It of course won't be a 100% match to the real thing, but I suspect it'll be better than yellow bare FR4. I don't want them to look too much like the real thing anyway -- always worried in the back of my mind that they'll show up on eBay as faked originals.

So, yeah, the prototypes should be in next week, then I'll put together a run through PCBCart (the guys who do the XT-IDE and John Monahan's boards) with proper hard gold plating. I suspect they'll be around $25-35 per board.

Very cool!

Nice! Might be tempted in one or two of these. Will be interested to see how the solder mask turns out too.

I should have enough parts to do a basic parts kit on them (just the stuff it originally would've come with -- enough to build up the parallel interface).

Prototypes are finally in! Shipping was delayed presumably because of the Christmas shipping rush -- DHL ended up handing it off to the USPS, which added 3 days transit time. I built one up today and they work fine! I think the blue solder mask effect turned out really great, it's definitely not the same color as the original, but that wasn't what I was going for anyway. Here's the full board:

Here's a closeup of the address decode and parallel I/O sections:

The board I had reproduced was the oldest of the few I had on hand. It still had "Solid State Music" and a music note in the regulator area:

For reference, this is the exact board that was depopulated and used for the scans:

http://www.glitchwrks.com/2013/04/17/power-on-jump

Very nice - love the simplicity of the board plus room for adding a circuit or two for what ever you might need.

Jim
    Who let out the magic smoke!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by James0555 View Post
    Very nice - love the simplicity of the board plus room for adding a circuit or two for what ever you might need.
    Thanks! That's exactly why I ended up liking this board so much. It's really handy for whipping up an interface to something without having to wire up all of the boring stuff, like address decode and data buffering.

Finally got a chance to build up a production board and test it:

Wiring closeup:

Bare production board:

If anyone is interested in one they're $30/ea plus shipping. US shipping is $5 for one (padded envelope) or $12 for two or more (box). Overseas is $16 for one, $25 for two or more. PM me if you want to buy one.

Blog Entries

How do you do the scan to gerber files?

Len
    Spread the joy of Vintage Addiction

-->www.chronworks.com/<--->www.i8008.net/<--

You strip the board of all components, clean it, and send it to Mile High Test/Gardien Services. They charge around $250-300 depending on the size and if there's solder mask/silkscreen, and send you back Gerber files. It's expensive but you don't end up with a run of dud boards because you dropped a trace or something.